Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
what do people prefer for walking their Beagle? When we had a Pug we always used a harness because she choked very easily.
Andre

·
Registered
295 Posts
I switched to a harness very shortly after I got Daisy. She would pull and choke herself too. They can actually damage their windpipes this way.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So will Beagles (choke I mean). They tend to follow scents (we all know that) but they also have very soft pallet, which combined with pulling, will induce reverse sneezing and such.

BUT, the more important reason is their back/neck/verdibrae prone problems.

I go with harness!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I was using gentle leader head collar but Maggie hated it and I have read it is not good for necks and backs so I started trying harnesses that are no pull harnesses. It has been tough finding a good fit. Maggie is between sizes, small is too small and medium is too big. We started with the gentle leader harness and then tried the halti harness. The pet supply store where I shop has been great about special ordering for me. We even tried a tween size. They finally found one made by halti called comfort ease or comfort fit. It is the best fit we have found. It comes with a double ended leash that connects to the front as well as on the back .You can use either or both connections depending on how much your dog pulls. My daughter has trouble using the double connection but I like the control it gives me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
After much debate and deliberation, I settled on a harness for Winston too. (13 weeks old) I got one that doesn't go around his neck but around his front legs. (goes on like a bra) He is still getting used to actually getting it put on, but once he is in it he does way better than a collar. I still have a collar on him during the day for identification purposes, and this harness allows for the collar to stay on but isn't affected by the harness. The pet store suggested a halti lead (one that leads from the head) but I'd have to muzzle him just to get it one, and I just wasn't into that.
Definately take your pup with you to the store. Petland was amazing with it all, they helped fit it to the dog, let us walk around the store with it, and then told me they will accept a return up to 14 days later even if he chews it, as long as you have receipt!

·
Registered
295 Posts
That reminds me of when I first tried getting the harness on Daisy. Daisy is a rescue, and lord knows what her life was like before. I am certain she was abused, at the least. Anyway, getting that harness on her was such a struggle! And she is quite strong for how small she is. One day, I was going through the usual wanna go for a walk? banter, and got out the harness, ready for the usual challenge of getting it on. To my surprise, she sat down and patiently, (for her, anyway), let me put it on, and lifted her little front leg when I needed her to. I was shocked/happy/amazed. I guess she finally figured out that if she wanted walkies, the harness was the price

·
Registered
837 Posts
I only ever use a martingale collar - they are FANTASTIC!! I should post some photos of Daisy's latest one, its very stylish

Although nothing helps pulling more than a good training program to teach a dog to walk on a loose leash
It can take a while, but Daisy is great on walks now and does not pull. I would still never walk her on a standard flat collar though - I like the security a martingale gives because it can't slip over their heads.

ETA: I still let Daisy sniff on walks, but she can only walk so far in front of me and cannot pull on the lead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We bought Josie a harness when we picked her up from the SPCA, but didn't use it much for the first couple of weeks... Until my wife took her for a walk, and Josie pulled right out of her collar when she was chasing a rabbit scent. Very scary... Since then we don't take her anywhere, not even to the car when we're just going for a ride, without putting her harness on her. A big peace of mind that she won't be able to slip out of it so easily...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I use a harness when walking the dogs - these kids are such pullers (with 9 dogs, they don't get to go on walks often) and can't choke themselves with the harness.

·
Registered
837 Posts
That's exactly why I never use a flat collar for walks. My Sibe's collar fell apart on a walk one day - the clip just suddenly became undone! He's even slipped out of his harness by backing out of it.

http://www.callicoma.com.au/collars.htm

They are great, and are a great training tool if you are teaching your beag not to pull. They are the only dog collars I will use on a walk because I am paranoid about them slipping/breaking normal collars! We use the martingale with the chain attachment for training, but the material one works well too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
toby doesn't pull but i need to pull him cause hes so slow! haha. he loves the walks/running but slow sometimes. every so often he stops to smell but hopefully that will end soon. i need to start using the harness again because the collar makes his ears itch during the walk.

·
Registered
890 Posts
We use a harness that is very adjustable. Standard Harnesses are either too small or too big. He is slightly bigger than a medium and too small for a large. Darned barrel chested beagles. We have a hard time with jackets for him too because mediums won't fit around his chest but he swims in a large. We almost have to have a raincoat for him because it rains so much around here.

We try to alternate between sniff walks and walk walks. Sometimes we go out ant let him sniff as much as he wants (all the time), and other times make him walk with occasional sniff breaks.
It works fairly well.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use the harness - I find I can control the pups more easily, and Spock and Bones love to rush ahead and pull on the lead as we walk. I took Spock to the pet store a couple of weekends ago with just his collar, and he pulled so much while trying to get to other dogs from where we stood in the toy aisle that he made himself throw up. Right in front of a lady who was talking to me about her dogs. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We use both. Duke has a Martindale collar and Violet has a harness. I bought Duke the collar at his trainer's advice when he was young and decided to try the harness route with Vi. I think I like the harness better because it limits pulling a bit more. Plus, Violet can use her car harness for walks. Duke's is too bulky for walks because of the sherpa lining, so I need to get him one for that purpose. I also want to get the double-lead so I'm not carrying 2 leashes (though it will totally mess up the color coordination they have going on!LOL).

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Originally Posted By: jassy They finally found one made by halti called comfort ease or comfort fit. It is the best fit we have found. It comes with a double ended leash that connects to the front as well as on the back .You can use either or both connections depending on how much your dog pulls. My daughter has trouble using the double connection but I like the control it gives me.
I might try this. The trainer told me to use choker chain. Charlie didn't seems to dislike it or bothers him. But I didn't like it. So I use the Halti, he doesn't like it at all. I do not think it will hurt him because he will stop pulling when he feels the nudge and the pressure from the strap around his muzzle. He certainly slow down a lot to a point that the leash is loose! Every now and than during the walk he would try to pull it down with his paws(only a few times). But he loves the walk, so that is the consequence he must have. Harness, collars I try them all, didn't work on Charlie. He would pull full force, at least I do not have arm pain another more.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Charlie mom

I might try this. The trainer told me to use choker chain. Charlie didn't seems to dislike it or bothers him. But I didn't like it. So I use the Halti, he doesn't like it at all. I do not think it will hurt him because he will stop pulling when he feels the nudge and the pressure from the strap around his muzzle. He certainly slow down a lot to a point that the leash is loose! Every now and than during the walk he would try to pull it down with his paws(only a few times). But he loves the walk, so that is the consequence he must have. Harness, collars I try them all, didn't work on Charlie. He would pull full force, at least I do not have arm pain another more.
Don't be fooled into thinking a halti is a more gentle option than a check chain or any other correction collar - the pressure applied to the face can be quite painful and stressful for a dog. I didn't realise there was anything terribly wrong with them until I spoke to a few trainers about it and read articles like this one:

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=halter.html

What loose leash training have you tried? There are a few really good techniques out there...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts