Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good harness. I have tried a few and they chaffed under his arms (armpit area) and along his tummy. I have tried a few and they all do the same thing. They all do the same thing. We are very active and we go on long walks in the woods. We need something that will not hurt Fred.

I thank all of you in advance, I am very appreciative of any/all advice that you provide.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel wears his Pawmark harness 24/7 and has worn the same one for almost all the last 10 years. It was hunter orange, it is now really faded. He has another, same brand, but bright blue if we have to dress up, and on rare occasions he get to wear that. Now, your pouch maybe more sensative, or stuff, and I have seen fleece line harnesses, but a good quality adjustable tracking harness works for the Bagel. I Purchased his first, the one he still is wearing and 35 Lead which has since worn out way back before Beagle World. When the lead wore out, I ordered another harness as well. I swear by the service and quality at Pawmark. Just my $0.02

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Smeagle, those look comfy but the Bagel would destroy those in a week, first cactus would start it to rip :0 How do you adjust them. The Bagel goes through bush, brush, and gosh only knows what on his investigations, a 3/8 Nylon lead lasts about a year then I have so many knots in it, I replace it! I don't know what kind of a beagle and what kind of beagle activity is planned in Massachusetts, but the wilds of Nevada, those wouldn't cut it! They look really nice for an urban setting however.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: bobSmeagle, those look comfy but the Bagel would destroy those in a week, first cactus would start it to rip :0 How do you adjust them. The Bagel goes through bush, brush, and gosh only knows what on his investigations, a 3/8 Nylon lead lasts about a year then I have so many knots in it, I replace it! I don't know what kind of a beagle and what kind of beagle activity is planned in Massachusetts, but the wilds of Nevada, those wouldn't cut it! They look really nice for an urban setting however.
I have found they are pretty tough but it does depend how you use them. Erin and Andrew who is on this forum is a stockist of them here in Oz and their girls wear them swimming etc.

They do have adjusting sliders on them but you can't see them in the pics.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I get the feeling the Bagel's rough and rowdy ways are atypical for the beagle's around Beagle World. The Bagel routinely chases or sniffs after cottontails (rabbits) to their warrens which are often protected large expanses of brush. These actually cut or sever his lead (Originally 35 feet - 10+ Meters) made of tough nylon requiring me to splice his lead until it get so short (less than 7 meters) I have to purchase another one. I always have a spare spiffy harness and lead for proper occasions, a bright blue harness and a bright red 35 foot lead currently, but his preferred working harness is the 10 year old faded hunter orange tracking harness and an hunter orange lead with about 7 splices in it about 8 meters length now. Most every weekend finds the Bagel and I either in the woods, at a off-road race, or in the desert exploring an old mine or ghost town. I like tracking harnesses because that is what the Bagel does. I’ve seen pack harnesses (those are the ones I’ve seen with fleece) and they would avoid chaffing as well. These you recommend appear more for walking and the more typical Beagle World use. The key is a proper fit no matter what kind of harness.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We tried one of those padded travel harness for the car. When we put it on Bodie he rolled like he was on fire! Within 30 seconds he had one front leg out. It was like watching Houdini at work. It lasted for all of 3 minutes before we decided to pack it back up and return it. But it was worth a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts