Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a month or so ago I bought Fin a harness to walk him. I love it because I feel in control more and there's no worry of choking him. My question is, do you keep the harness on all the time or only use it for walks? My brother made a comment to me that I shouldn't have him wear it all the time. So recently I've just been using it for walks. What do you all suggest?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Both replies have good points but my old beagle Bagel has continuously worn his harness and collar for at least three years (Since the last time he needed a bath)! His hunters orange harness is really faded. The old man has no skin problems and it is far easier than taking it off and putting in back on three or four times a day. When I grap his leash, he is ready to go NOW, wearing his harness 24/7 works better for both of us /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
I take the harness off my three. They get to rat racing and rolling around and I am always afraid that someones teeth, nails, etc., is going to get caught in someone elses harness. And two of mine still have dew claws which have gotten caught in more things than I want to remember. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
112 Posts
We had a harness for Beasley. A friend of ours watched her last weekend, and decided to keep the harness on the whole time. It didn't take too long for Beasley to chew all the way through it...so no harness now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm gonna try this out. The problem is getting it back on him, he's very stubborn and moves around.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar only wears his harness in the vehicle for his seatbelt and he hates it. I have to hide it behind my back and surprise him or else he sees the harness and hides. I try to hold him between my knees then lift his front paws off the floor and with one hand get both his front legs in the harness. It's dificult but we're getting the hang of it, he doesn't fight it anymore because he knows he can't win. He just grumbles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Caesar's Mom:
Caesar only wears his harness in the vehicle for his seatbelt and he hates it. I have to hide it behind my back and surprise him or else he sees the harness and hides. I try to hold him between my knees then lift his front paws off the floor and with one hand get both his front legs in the harness. It's dificult but we're getting the hang of it, he doesn't fight it anymore because he knows he can't win. He just grumbles.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer & Sydney have harnesses but Sydney hates wearing hers. Since we moved to our new house last weekend and don't have a fence yet, the dogs have their harnesses on all day as well as their collars. When we are gone and they are crated, they just have their collars. When we go to bed at night, they don't have anything on. I figure I will give them a break and actually get comfy in bed. So far no skin problems but lots of scratching.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey's harness is only on when we go for a walk or leave the house for a trip in the car. If she's just going out to go potty, I just attach her leash to her collar (which stays on all the time).

·
Registered
308 Posts
We hide the Twin's harness cause if they see it they think it is walking time!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I use the harness for walks. Whenever I slip it over Boeing's head, he'll stick one front leg out automatically and wait for the buckle to go 'click' before heading out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours almost dance when they see their harnesses, it means walkies. They wear a collar during the day but a harness just for walking. Snoopy gets into his if we hold it out, then tries to get into Susies!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine wear nothing all day, I have noticed that if Suzy and Beau wear their collars, the hair under them gets really coarse and sticks up constantly. Suzy is the only one with a harness but she does not like it at all, she prefers the choke collar. She is the only one that actually slows down when she hears it click. The boys hear it click and think, yay I can go faster! :rolleyes: Boys!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm going to petsmart later today to pick up a new harness, Beasley was really pulling last night, and we had a few scares when she runs full speed only to be yanked into the air when she reaches the end of the leash...That can't be good on her neck. So it'll be back to the harness today, hope she doesn't eat this one too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts