Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Colette, and I have a 10 month old beagle named Monty. He's quite the handful, and until i read some posts on here, i thought i was a terrible mommy...now i just realize that beagles are handfuls, and we'll get through it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
My boyfriend and I got Monty when he 3 months old. He was living on a farm, so we had a lot of training to do. Still do!! He hasn't fully grasped the concept of potty training.
He has his cute games he plays...he has learned that if he shoves a toy under the couch, and barks at it, i will retrieve it for him. Sometimes i feel like I'M the one playing fetch, not him!! We live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, so we have TONS of snow right now...when he goes outside, he has a set path in the backyard that he made and runs every day!! If he goes off the path, he's head deep in snow!
He's a real sweetheart, even though he gets into a lot of trouble by leaving me surprises, but i'm sure we'll get through it...i hope!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to BW.My Maggie is also 10 months old. She is a handful but has already learned so much. Our dogs are really still just babies. This forum has been so helpful to me and made a great difference in my approach to training Maggie. I will look forward to comparing stories with you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here's a picture of "Mommy's Little Monster"
The teddy he has, "Blue" has been with him since the day we got him. We picked it up at a pet store before going to get him, and they have been best friends ever since!! Sadly. Blue has since lost the squeeker, and a leg. I think i'm goign to get a new one and switch them, and keep the broken one in a memory box /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Love the picture of Monty and Blue. Welcome to Beagle World. I suspect it will all get better as Monty matures. Looking forward to sharing stories.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Yeah, sometimes you wonder who is in charge.
Did I teach him to play fetch or di he teach me to throw it on command?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome to you and Monty!

Monty has an extra "beagly" face. Such sad looking eyes...but we all know better, don't we. :evilgrin:

Like you, my dogs have us well trained. We bow to their every whim and in turn, they sit and look cute and make sweet little noises. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

~Denise~

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Monty definatly has me trained! My boyfriend however, is another story. Monty listens to and respects him, but comes to me to play and cuddle. He knows Justin is the strict one, and i'm the pushover!! I just can't say no to him!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, Monty definatly has the "beagle face" he always looks so sad...i hope he's not!!
Also, on the top of his head, he has a little scar. The breeder we got him from gave him to us 1/2 price, and said she couldn't get more then that for him because he was "damaged". She said he was born with it. It doesn't seem to bother him, or me for that matter! Its sad how his breeder thought so less of him because of it. I LOVE him because of it! i knew the second i saw him that he was meant to be with us /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello! :wave: As you describe behaviour Monty - it real beagle! If you will listen to it and persistently to demand that would be desirable you, to you it will be easy together! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Letty,

Monty only looks sad...typical beetle.

He is probably quite spoiled and very happy...typical BW beetle!

The sad face and souful eyes and sweet little jowly mouth are the instruments they use to control their humans! :evilgrin:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
definatly spoiled! Today he still has an upset tummy from the jar of peanuts he got into yesterday!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! I could almost guarantee that Monty is not sad -- he has just mastered, at a very young age, the manipulation of which beagles are masters. Monty is going to play you to the hilt! I speak from experience ... my Maggie at 12 years old is unbelieveably manipulative and I still fall for it, even after 11 years. Sometimes I feel awfully foolish but most of the time I just shake my head and give her an extra hug. Looking foward to lots more stories and pictures!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. Monty certainly has his family well trained!!! :wave:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
How adorable Monty is !!!

welcome to the group of "owned by beagles" !!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: Don't let the sad face fool you, that's just our clever little hounds'disguise to con us out of extra treats. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome to Letty & Monty :wave:

Tippi was also born on a farm. The first day home we had a few accidents(normal). The second day I happened to notice that she would just sit and stare at me or my husband. Took a chance and took her out. She went immediately :thumbup: Should have let my husband Ron in on it as she sat one evening staring at him and when he didn't respond she walked up next to him and piddled on his sneakers :lol2: She is now 7 and she still will not go to the door if she needs to go out, she just positions herself in front of one of us and stares. Maybe she is a psychic pooch :lol2:
Maybe Monty is too.

Lora&Tippi

"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

1 - 17 of 17 Posts