Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have you ever seen them in the stores? the cough drops with the vitamin c in them? apparently they make wonderful treats. my new puppy just managed to somehow get them from the dining room table and eat the whole pack before i knew it!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well hopefully they will do no harm to her, but Twitchy shouldn't be coughing any time soon.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I always think they get much more enjoyment from the treats they steal than the ones we give them. Hope she is feeling Ok today.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
oh my! my dog LOVES coughdrops i always forget i have them in my backpack or i leave them in the pockets of my jeans and i find him freaking out pawing at either or, i used to ALWAYS keep cherry ricola in the cellphone holder of my hiking pack and he would take the entire pack out and i'd find the wrappers all over the floor. They didn't have any negative effects, I'll look into the halls as treats thats a good idea but too much vitamin C can ruin teeth, it calcifies and starts eating away at the enamel. Just fyi.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, this morning there was poop mixed with halls wrappers, she had quite an appetite this morning too, so i suppose she is ok.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I did some research online because Lilo decided to check out a roll of Halls that my brother left out. From what I've read, the only reported major side effect is explosive (yes, explosive) diarrhea and possibly some tummy ache. Lilo didn't experience this--but i'm convinced that she has the stomach of a goat.
Of course, anything in excess can be potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just keep in mind, if you have sugar-free cough drops, those can be harmful to your pooches. Most sugar-free drops, gum, etc. contain xylitol, which is harmful and perhaps deadly to dogs.

Most of the regular ones are menthol with corn syrup and flavoring, which shouldn't be harmful, maybe just a little unpleasant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts