Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is starting to get some spots of hair loss. One on her leg, one by her right shoulder and just discovered a new spot near the rear of her. The skin where the spots occur have little random black spots. Just wondering if anyone has an idea what this is?

Also, a friend was watching her a week and a half ago while I took a vacation to Maryland. He mentioned seeing a white thing in her stool. The way he described it, it sounded like a tapeworm possible (small fingernail rice like segmant?)? Would this cause the hair loss and spots? I have been keeping an eye on her stool and have not seen any myself.

Anyways just wanted some peoples thoughts, she goes in tomarrow morning to get spayed so I will mention that to the vet when I am there.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't know much about tapeworms or hair loss, but I am glad she has an appointment with the vet tomorrow. I am sure they will be able to tell you what is causing it. Are the spots tiny little black dots or are they larger pigment spots on the skin?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are really really tiny but only seen at the hair loss locations. Took a flash light to her hair to see them easily.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Does your dog seem to be itching the spots? I personally think it sounds like mites. Your vet will most likely do a skin scraping to see if it is sarcoptic or demodetic mites and will most likely prescribe Ivermectin. Be careful as these can be passed to humans if not treated fairly quick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes she itches them alot untill i put a cream on them that the vet recomended a few months ago when she had a similar problem. Well shes at the vet now being spayed =( so I will hopefully know later today.

·
Registered
959 Posts
WE had hot spots as the vet told us, and they sound like yours...but make sure the vet takes a look at them....they thought ours might have been tapeworms too, but thankfully NOT!
Good luck!

Cathy J

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope not either =(. This puppy never seems to be healthy. She always acts healthy eating running around like crazy but it seems like every month theres something new. Well they said she would be ready for pick up around 3 or 4 so I will let you guys know!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Vinny experienced hair loss on his chest, belly, sides and tail. Our vet diagnosed it as a thyroid problem and gave him another pill. I elected not to give him the pill which would be in addition to the Phenobarbatol to control his epilepsy and the Temeral P which he gets to control his skin allergies.

Instead we changed his food to a natural, holistic food and have seen very good results. The diet change took place 12 months ago and we began to notice differences in his coat within 4 months. Although his coat is not a full as most Beag's, he has doubled the amount the hair he had this time last year. His seizures have lessoned in frequency to about every 45-50 days and duration. However, this could be more age related than the food.

Hope all works out good for you and your pup.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shes back from the vet now. Shes just laying down in her crate crying all day =(. But the spaying went well. It actually works out that shes not allowed to run around and play as I am in finals week and pretty much have to be studying non stop lol. But her crate is next to my desk and I will be able to keep in eye out on her.

As for the hair loss the vet just recommended that I use a antifungal cream like I have for the last few days and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyGood, she will be fine in no time!
Just make sure she is not biting her sutures.
I am trying to stop her, but what about when I am not home?

She wont leave her crate right now just lays in there crying.... shes had a ruff day!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I remember bringing Poppy home from being spayed, i layed her on the bed & she didnt move for about 12 hours!!!! The next day she was getting right back to normal by jumping on the sofa & having a sleep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts