Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every surface that Marley touches has hair on it. Me, furniture, our coats, clothes, shoes, carpets, our hair even, now that is crazy.

Can we do anything at all? I knew that Beagles shed, but had no clue if he just looked at my black pants, I'd go to work looking like I put on white pants instead.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Take your problem and multiply it by 5! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Four dogs, and a calico cat add up to massive amounts of hair. My best advice is to forget about wearing black. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I'm not trying to make light of your problem, and am sorry I can't give you good advice. Maybe we'll both get some in this thread.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Beagles do shed an awful lot, the only thing that keeps it down is a good brushing. You will find that he sheds more at different times some weeks they hardly shed the next tons comes out.

You will need to groom him regularly the keep his sheding to a minimum.

We hoover everyday sometimes twice a day we even hoover Rasha as she loves being hoovered with the brush /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It's a fact I'm afraid, some of them shed hair more than others. Do you groom Marley daily? If he has a strong tummy, you could use a drop of vegetable oil in his food, not much just a drop. Our friends put on old jeans to visit us!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wear black!!!!!
I got the furminator and I brush Chloe almost every day. I also keep a roll of tape for the clothes..... it's working. The hair flying around the house has reduced dramatically :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hair everywhere? Yup, that sounds about right...

I have found my Josie's hair inside the machine I use at work! As someone has suggested, the furminator does help, but you'd better be ready to do it everyday... And that will really only make her shed less, it won't stop it. When we first rescued Josie, my wife wasn't too happy about the hair, but I convinced her that she was just shedding love throughout the house... That seemed to make her feel better about it... That and those cute floppy ears!

Advice: Buy lint rollers in bulk, don't use a bagless vacuum, and just learn to accept it. The love you'll get from your Beag far outweighs all that hair...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Uh-oh... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
I was under the impression Beagles didn't shed much at all. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Well, how is it compared to, say, a German Shepherd? Better? Worse? Same?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar sheds a lot but not nearly as much as Emma our German Shepherd/Border Collie. We got the furminator for her and it's well worth the price. The furminator also has a line of other products like shampoo and treats to help curb the shedding. With two dogs and a cat we have lots of shedding issues. I even have a picture frame that says "Shed Happens". A few years ago my mom even found cat hair in a baby blanket that she had knitted.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes, Beagles shed! But, there really is a difference between dogs. I have had some Beagles that hardly shed at all. And others that have a prime directive to spread as much of themselves around as possible. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I also have noted that as they get older they get really soft and seem to shed more. My much loved Fleagle, who was almost 16 when she died, was know as Queen Fuzzy Butt. She had a pair of furry pantaloons on her that was as soft as down and could blow in the breeze. There was no such thing as keeping up with the brushing with her. I think the brushing just stimulated more fur growth. With her in the house it was dust bunny central. With her gone the bunny population has dropped 80%. My 3 now are relatively short-haired and do not shed that much. In other words it was 80% Fleagle fur and 20% Shasta, Austin & Megan fur.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby leaves hair all around if I don't brush her out. If I brush her out it's not a big deal.

Also keep in mind that's a transitional season
...shedding, even somewhat rather heavy seasonal shedding, allows dogs grow their winter coats.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel doesn't shed much! I suspect the condition of their coat might have a reason. I don't use "a drop of vegetable oil" but Bagel and I, at least once a week, go to McDonalds for a $1.00 Sausage McMuffin. Bagel gets the egg, I get the bread and sausage (we negotiate on the cheese). An egg a week also helps their coat!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Before Maggie developed Cushings, she hardly shed at all so I definitely think there is a difference among beagles. I seem to recall that, when this topic came up before, someone mentioned that it is the lighter colored hair that sheds the most. Adding Omega-3 fats to the diet helps cut down on shedding that is due to dry skin. Derm-caps is one method of providing this -- there are lots of different brands on the market. If I saw Maggie's skin was particularly dry, I would give her a Derm-cap a day for a couple of weeks and it make a big difference. To follow up what Jamie mentioned about the food -- usually the high quality food is rich in Omega-3 fats.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
All of ours shed anywhere and everywhere - I am just used to being part beagle as I am usually covered with beagle hair! But there is definitely a difference between them - Moosie sheds the least, Popcorn is somewhere in the middle, and Booker reminds me of Pigpen from Peanuts as she basically walks around surrounded be a cloud of loose hair!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by bob:
The Bagel doesn't shed much! I suspect the condition of their coat might have a reason. I don't use "a drop of vegetable oil" but Bagel and I, at least once a week, go to McDonalds for a $1.00 Sausage McMuffin. Bagel gets the egg, I get the bread and sausage (we negotiate on the cheese). An egg a week also helps their coat!
i gave homer my scrambled eggs one morning and i had to open all the windows in the house and follow him around with a can of air freshner for the rest of the day :holyshit: never again!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I think that has to do more from the filter than the actual "bagless" system. If you empty the filter and replace when the manufacturer recommends bagless vacuums can be better and healthier to use.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Xsara:
We got used to dog hair being everywhere. When I went to Norway without Xsara for 10 days I missed her so much that I would hold on to every hair I found. I know it sounds weird but it made me feel closer to her.
I've done that too! I can't stand the hair when the dogs are around, but when they are not and I miss them, I even cherish the darn hairs!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts