Our Beagle World Forums banner

Gulping down food whole.

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  araine 
#1 ·
We have been trying several things to stop 'Trix' from swallowing her food whole. Spreading food on garage floor, adding liquid, and feeding thru vertical plastic pipe are a couple of the things we have tried. Nothing seems to work, vet attributes the gulping to frequent gas she passes.
'Trix' is the runt of the litter and we think this is the reason for gulping. She is currently on a diet which doesn't help the problem.
We are feeding Beneful kiblets for adult dogs. One cupful twice a day. Change in food type has not helped in the past.
Thanks in advance for any responses!

#3 ·
Hi!

My brother-in-law apparently has this problem with his rescue-beagle. I haven't witnessed it but Buddy eats as though the fires of hell are nipping at his heals.

Somebody suggested to him to put stones (too big to swallow but small enough to move with his nose) in his bowl and distribute the food around the stones. It supposedly makes Buddy slow down his eating because his has to work the stones around to get the food.

~Denise

#4 ·
Here is Drs. Foster & Smith's version of the bloat bowl:

Slow-Feed Bowl

Denise's suggestion re rocks would be a lot less expensive and serve the same purpose -- be sure to put large ones in the bowl. Also, my Maggie loved to chew rocks at one point in her life so make sure that is not a problem!

Another thing to try would be an elevated bowl -- it is supposed to be better for digestion for dogs in general and might slow the eating for your pup.

#6 ·
When I rescued the Bagel, he'd gulp down his food. I took to hand feeding him his hibble one piece at a time for the first week and not only did it get him to slow down eating but help us bond. He still pays full attention to eating but he takes about 4 minutes to eat a cup and half of kibble and he has been eating that way for the last eleven and half years.

#7 ·
Our Gunnar used to eat this way and we have found that moving up to a different size kibble stopped him from swallowing it whole. If the food is to tiny they will just swallow it instead of chewing it.

#8 ·
Originally Posted By: Beagle MomOur Gunnar used to eat this way and we have found that moving up to a different size kibble stopped him from swallowing it whole. If the food is to tiny they will just swallow it instead of chewing it.
That's what we had to do with Maggie...we now buy her Innova Evo for large dogs. It has solved the problem completely, but she is chewing a little more.

#11 ·
I ordered our Sadie the Anti-bloat bowl from Fetch Dog. Sadie used to inhale her food and sometimes choke on it. A few times I wondered if I was going to have to do a doggy hymlic manueuver on her. The bloat bowl has cured her. She doesn't like it much, but it slows her down. She used to inhale her food and then move over to Pooh's bowl and try to eat his food. Now Pooh finishes his bowl first sometimes and comes over to help her with her bowl. We stop him of course.

#15 ·
My Rolo does this, He has done so since we adopted him.
I swear I call him the Purana fish, he's so fast, and it reminds me of a Purana. he acts so starved.

I have tried different techs, this one is working the most. I hand feed him and tell him nice/gentle and take my hand away if he starts going nuts, then back to square one. yeh time consuming however it's ok.

Plus side is he does not growl anymore gaurding his food. which he used to do.

There is no need to guard your food little buddy, you will always be fed, this is what I tell him.

#17 ·
Originally Posted By: Beagle RC AirWe have been trying several things to stop 'Trix' from swallowing her food whole. Spreading food on garage floor, adding liquid, and feeding thru vertical plastic pipe are a couple of the things we have tried. Nothing seems to work, vet attributes the gulping to frequent gas she passes.
'Trix' is the runt of the litter and we think this is the reason for gulping. She is currently on a diet which doesn't help the problem.
We are feeding Beneful kiblets for adult dogs. One cupful twice a day. Change in food type has not helped in the past.
Thanks in advance for any responses!

Our JoJo was on Beneful when we first adopted her. She had HORRIBLE gas issues and would gulp it down, too.
She eats only slightly slower now, but she's been switched over to Innova EVO (right now, it's the small bites). Maybe we should switch her to the bigger bites to help her slow down more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.