Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, my first post here. I hope this topic hasn’t been covered before but my 2 year beagle has developed a nasty hotspot on his arm by his elbow. This has been going on for about a month now and it doesn’t seem to be improving, he keeps licking and scratching it. We took him to the vet & they recommended antibiotics for a week abdcan antibiotic cream and the cone of shame. We have followed instructions and the sore still looks pretty bad. They are now recommending getting it poked and tested for cancer. The doc said theres a type of cancer thats very itchy. Although the doctor thinks he’s too young to have cancer? Were worried and hope its only a hot spot but surprised it has not improved after a week. Btw he’s miserable wearing the cone... also tried an arm suit and he will not get off the couch. Hates it. Would appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Welcome
Sorry your dog is experiencing a skin problem.
1. Is he scratching everywhere or just focused on that spot.?
2. Does he take an oral rx for fleas and ticks? If so, i would discontinue it to rule that out as a possible cause?
3. What food does he eat..possibly allergic to it?
4. Did the vet prescribe a round of Prednisone to calm the skin? If not ask about it..yes side affects of peeing and hunger but thats manageable.
4. Personally, i would get the vet to give a Cytopoint injection for itching.. it helped my dog immediately.

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
My Oliver was very itchy and opening sore spots. The vet put him on Apoquel and it was like a miracle. Once his skin healed we decreased the dosage. Beagles tend to be itchy dogs in my experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vet visit went well. They did a scrape to determine if he had parasites, that was negative. We opted for the cancer poke, but he did not let them poke him LOL. They gave us Prednisone, seems to be working- not licking or scratching as much. Winston is drinking more water than usual, so we’re keeping an eye on his pee breaks. He must be allergic to something, but we don’t know what?

Thanks again for your insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
I'm glad he is feeling better. Yep, Prednisone is a pain with the potty breaks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Good news no parasites! And I'm so glad he's not itching as much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So sorry its not going away. Natural dog co. skin soother works really well for any hot spots, or irritated spots on my dog. Its worth a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts