Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Rocky got ANOTHER bird today! It was so sad. I didn't actually see him kill it, just the aftermath when he was staring at it lying on the ground. I really like seeing the birds outside and watching them on the feeder (in the front yard) so I was really frustrated that this is the second one he's killed in a month. I don't know why he's all of the sudden catching them.

Anyway, he came in the house when I went outside to take a look and I was so irritated. I came back in, picked him up, and took him outside. I plopped him down next to the bird and told him no and made him lie down. Well, I didn't really MAKE him lie down... he did that on his own because he knew mom was peeved. lol But the weird thing was, when I picked him up to take him outside he started yelping. I know I didn't hurt him because I put him down and then picked him up the same exact way and he was silent. I honestly think he was yelping because he knew he was in trouble. Daisy will do that sometimes. Anyone else have that experience?

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you are asking about the yelp, I don't have any experience with my dogs doing that but one of my parents dogs does that if she thinks you are going to pick her up or if you step to close to her she will do it thinking you are going to step on her.

Sorry about the bird I know my day is coming because Daisy chases them all the time, and I sort of feel like I'm asking for trouble with the bird feeder but I just love all the birds in the yard so far the birds can out run her

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bonnie yelps a lot when i pick her up. champ and Clyde only seldom. most of the time for them it is because they have a briar in their skin and i am likely driving it in.
poor things.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Kali will yelp if she doesn't want to be picked up. Summer will growl.

As for the dead bird... You can tell her NO and she may listen, then again she may not, its in her nature. She is a born hunter. As much as we DON'T want to to believe it, they are animals. Don't be too hard on her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I know Toby gets super curious whenever there's a bird on our balcony. Though I know he likes to chase squirrels whenever we are at our parent's house.

Actually, Toby is pretty quiet considering he's a beagle. Maybe we just don't know?? Since we work 9-5... but I hope he is quiet. As for the yelping maybe he's sad that you left him outside..aawwww

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't punish my dogs for killing things, prey drive is a natural instinct, it would be like punishing your dog for chasing a ball (it's the same prey instinct!).

It's not nice when they kill things but they are just doing what comes naturally, it doesn't make them bad or evil or anything

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I thought about the whole punishing thing afterward and regretted fussing at him. I know it's his instinct and apparently he's getting really good! I was more frustrated because I had to clean it up. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Ours kill birds too. I try to stop it from happening and save the birds when I can. But it is in their nature. I don't punish mine for this. It is baby bird season here.

He could have been scared and was yelping.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Mine isn't vaguely intrested in birds, i think its mainly because we have a parrot and he knows she'll nip his nose if he sniffs too much near her cage as a result he doesn't even blink when he sees goose/ducks/birds in the yard.

I have no idea how u could correct the problem now tho, they are hunting dogs so it would be a very difficult behaviour to break. Its sad but what can you do? My golden used to bring me dead squirrels all the time, i just tought the SPIT IT OUT command lmao, and tried not to be too upset.

As for the picking up, i actually think alot of beagles dont like to be carried around, all of my friends with beagles have told me they its nearly impossible to pick theirs up with out getting a growl or just plain resistance.

We got ted when he was 6 weeks so he's used to being carried around, but i figure if you use treats you can easily get him to enjoy being picked up. PLus it doubles as a cuddle session

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL Yeah Daisy doesn't mind being picked up at all but you can tell Rocky doesn't like it. He doesn't usually growl or anything, you can just feel him resisting.

They almost got another bird today too. I looked out back and saw Daisy dancing around on her hind legs underneath one of the trees and all of the sudden this sparrow came fluttering down onto the ground. They both tore after it, but fortunately I saw them and hollered at them to leave it. They're not really good with this command but apparently today they decided to listen and they left it alone. It was panting like crazy on the ground and my hubby and I picked it up and looked it over. We decided it was hurt and wouldn't survive on it's own so I made some calls and found a woman a little north of us that takes in injured birds.

We took the bird up there and she said it had a broken wing, but didn't think it was from the dogs. It had some old blood on it and he didn't seem to have any injuries to his legs or anything. So anyway! She was going to keep him and see if he could heal, and if not he'd just stay there.

So there was a happy ending today!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts