Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle, like all beagles I'd imagine, is extremely people-friendly. When we go out for walks, she will let anyone pet her. The same goes for guests coming over. She's perfectly happy - tail wagging, face licking, everything.

However, just this past week, the little girl started growling excessively at my neighbors when they are in their backyards. She is fine with them if she sees them elsewhere (ex: in my backyard, out front, at the park). It's just that when we are outside in our fenced yard, and she sees them in theirs, the hair on her back rises and she growls the mean growl. If they settle in their yard to sit or something, she will stop growling after maybe 5-6 minutes. However, once they get up again, she will start growling.

I'm not sure whether she's being protective or what. It's really confusing me, and I was wondering if anybody else's beagle does the same thing?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ya, it sounds like she's just being protective. Hopefully you have a good relationship with your neighbors and they know your beagle is a friendly dog otherwise.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you are friendly with them, maybe they will be willing to help. They can communicate with her for a few minutes the first few times they come out to their back yard. She will relax and all will be good.

Worth a try!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Having your neighbours help is a great idea, I make sure to tell My neighbours to say hello to him in a LOUD VOICE, HI CHARLIE then he cocks his head to one side, then is fine, he just loves attention, I'm guessing that your friendly Beagle is just getting a tad peed that ignoring is going on haha, yeh even with hackles up if tails a wagging at the same time, I would guess it's PAY ATTENTION TO ME!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie barks like crazy at my neighbors. Luckily for me they raised bassets many years ago and they love it if Maggie barks or bays. Maggie only barks if they are in their backyard. I think she sees it as an extention of her yard. There is a fence but our yard is set a little below theirs, so they look really tall to Maggie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts