Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casey has a disgusting habit of eating not only her poop, but Hunters as well. I have tried various methods to end this. I have tried forbid, which you put in the food, also pineapple. I keep the yard picked up regularly. The problem is as fast as she or Hunter poops she will eat it. I supervise them as much as I can and pick it up asap, but they love to be outside, and I simply can't catch it fast enough.Any ideas would be appreciated. I have had her at the vet and there is no nutrients or anything missing health wise. I think it was allowed to happen before we got her, and the habit was formed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm not sure how to stop it, but when Caesar was younger he would always eat other animals poop. Just make sure that Casey is up-to-date with deworming pills.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Definately sounds like a common problem. Mocha (10 weeks old) loves to sneak into our cats litter box and pick up their poo and eat it! Disgusting! :pukey: Same thing, we try saying no as much as possible, and keep her out of the laundry room where the box is, but you can only do so much :nono5:
Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Not just Li'l Girl, but my other dogs indulge in this disgusting behavior. :pukey: We try to keep poop picked up, and Miss Priss only uses a litter box in the garage at night, so I can pick it up before the dogs go out in the morning.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Coprophagia is a canine trait and apparently has little if any negative effect on the dog. Wolves in the wild may do it to hide their scent so predators don't find them and our dogs are just one step removed from wolves. There may be a mineral or enzyme deficiency that the canine is attempting to satisfy. Some have suggested adding pineapple or meat tenderizer to their diet to aid them in digestion of some needed foodstuffs. More often, however, it is a learned behavior and can be corrected. Do a google search on “Coprophagia in Dogs” for an overload of information. Cheyenne Pepper or such can be used to “season” their treats, loudly shaking a can with some marbles or coins when they approach their poopsicle may deter their action. They may do it to get attention, negative attention being deemed better than no attention. You can search this site for previous discussions and/or use the google search but the only true sage advice is don’t accept doggie kisses from a dog immediately after they have availed themselves of a poopsicle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
326 Posts
We've had this problem since we bought our beagles home. It's quite weird. They've stopped peeing and pooing inside now so it's not that much of a problem. But when they were younger, they would only eat the poo if they poo'd inside. If it was outside, they'd sniff it and walk off. Must taste better on polished wood than it does on grass? Same with the cement, I've seen then indulging in it from the cement... but still not the grass. It's absolutely disgusting and Andrew had to pick it up inside, otherwise I would vomit. Thank god they are past peeing and pooing inside so it's not as bad as it used to be.

What used to get to me was the fact that they came in for cuddles, kisses and tummy rubs and you never really knew when the last time was that they indulged in this past time. :pukey:

(... Erin)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bottom line is that there is NOTHING you can do. Your vet will give you ideas and advice on how to stop it but in the end they will eat the poo anyway...... My elder Max the Lab stopped doing it after he turned 2. Erma my other Lab still eats poo every chance she gets and she is 4. Then Spencer the Beag learned from Erma to eat poo and he does it too. Spencer got very sick from eating poo and was admitted to the ER with Aspiration Pheumonia, he was put in a O2 Tank for 2 days along with Meds etc.... bill was over $2500. Since then I do not let him eat poo. I will not risk this again so I go outside with him everytime he is out. I have a great pooper scooper and dont even have to break my back picking up poop. Although I go through 3 plastic grocery bags in one week of poop, I got a clean yard!

My suggestion is to go out with your Beag and pick up the poop as soon as he goes. When he goes to eat it "fresh" firmly say NO and pick it up. It is the only way to make sure he does not eat it.. Unless you dont mind poopy breathe! LOL! Erma love soft serve. Oh ya in the winter she used to bring in the popsicles in the house!!! OMG!!! I died when I saw a frozen turd in my kitchen!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I noticed lately that Maggie and Jasmine are not partaking in this activity as much as they were in the winter. They're poor brother **** we nicknamed "the Carvel soft serve machine". We most of the time stand out there with the shovel in hand waiting so they won't do it. I also did try the meat tenderizer in there food and i did notice it did curb there appetites for Poop-cycles..

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby eats cat popp. She use to be really bad about it but now after numerous "ABBY STOP THAT! EWWW" she has cut down a great deal (or has learned to do it when no one is looking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )

Everytime I see her headed to the litter, or digging around in there :pukey: I tell her NO in my scary voice.

I haven't tried to put anything in the litter to make her stop eating the poop. I mean if she likes the taste of poop how much worse can I find? :freak: because I'm afraid of making her sick.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Andrew & Erin:
But when they were younger, they would only eat the poo if they poo'd inside. If it was outside, they'd sniff it and walk off. Must taste better on polished wood than it does on grass?
(... Erin) [/QB]
Or maybe they were trying to "destroy" the evidence. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
Georgia is 3 and still eats it. But only in the morning, when she knows I'm standing there at the door, in my robe--and knows I won't come out to chase her.
makes me so mad! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
and then of course, you have to give them treats to clean out their mouth. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
thank goodness Polly doesn't do it, though she did eat part of bra yesterday--out the laundry. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Hooks and everything. And she's stopped eating the comforter, and is moving onto the sheets. I think she has a cotton and metal deficiency. :hysterical:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It's a very common pastime and more common in hounds than any other breed. It's also more common in bitches than dogs. The reason for this is thought to be that a bitch will eat her puppies poop when they do it in their bed to keep the area clean...so it's kinda in their genes :rolleyes:

Rosa eats her own and any other dogs that smells right. If anyone finds a solution to this problem I'll marry them :freak:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all the advice!! I think the only way to stop is to go out with them. I have been doing the "no" in a firm voice and trying to get it right away. Hopefully she will get the idea and grow out of this habit. I am glad they are both dewormed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Frozen turds?!?! Yuck! Talk about a poop-sicle! :toofunny:

My doggie Annie used to do that when we had her. Mostly it was when she was a pup but ALL the dogs liked eating cat poo-doo. :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Buddy Beagle loves poo....To prevent poo consumption, I've learned to "manage the poo". First, Buddy eats, then we walk, then he poos, then the fight is on for the poo.....I'm prepared with poo bag in hand and he knows that I've become a quicker picker upper. Once in a while we get off schedule and an unplanned poo makes its way onto the lawn which becomes a tasty treat. I just don't know how he can be totally disinterested in his Science Diet but treats poo as it is baked alaska? Poo control is the only way I'm winning the battle of the poo.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts