Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that most dogs shed their furs, some more than others. I read a book about beagles stating that they shed twice a year before winter & summer. Coco tends to shed alot & twice a year. I also know that grooming for beagles (as in hair cuts) are low maintenance, however has anyone taken thier beagle in for a hair cut? how short? Do you recommend it? I am really thinking about doing this since there's hair all over my house and clothes all the time

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
No, hair cuts are not recommended for beagles. Though a good grooming can help with the shedding. My two go to the spa (doggie daycare/groomer) every 1-2 months as needed. They play with the other dogs and get a full grooming just before I arrive to pick them up.

A full grooming usually entails:
bath
nail trimming
ear cleaning
expressing anal glands
blow dry
brushing (removes dead hair)

And a day at the spa tires them out completely.

FYI: I wear my dog hair covered clothes like a badge of honor.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, I do that on a weekly basis at home, baths, brushing, nail trimming, ear cleaning & teeth cleaning along with the dreaded expressing anal glands myself
I suppose just brushing his hair more often to help with the shedding is what I will start doing.

Thanks Joe Beagles for the tip on NO hair cuts for beagles...not knowing I probably would have done it and then cried realizing I wasn't suppose to

FYI: I would love to wear my doogie hair as an addition article of clothing but my patients tend to look at me odd

·
Registered
959 Posts
I buy clothes with the dog hair in mind. NO black, unless I am going to wear the white and brown. No white, as the black shows up better. Brown or tan maybe. My navy blue carpet (not my choice) is covered with hair most of the time, you can only vacumm so often...so like everyone else, our grooming is bath, comb, glands, ears and teeth....anything else is hopeless. If we wanted a dog that doesn't shed we should have picked a foo-foo dog.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: Sephlyhave u tried a furminator? their brilliant.
oh yeah, it never dawn on me to use one. Does it really work? I always thought it would be used for dogs with more fur but if i can use it on him, i will get one.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
LOL Cobismom! I do the same thing. I'm always considering how dog hair is going to show on anything I purchase. Black and other dark colors are purchased very sparingly.

As for grooming. Jersey gets brushed out regularly. I comb through her to check for fleas and ticks and then use a brush called a Zoom Groom, made by Kong. It's made out of rubber and grips all the dirt and loose fur really well. She gets baths, ear cleaning and nail clipping as needed. Beagles require very minimal grooming.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My JoJo gets a bath every two - three weeks followed by a blow dry which she hates! I have to brush my cocker every second day so I comb JoJo out every 4th day and clean her nails and ears at the same time.

Every three months they both go to the groomer (she happens to be my Aunty). Poor Jesie gets the full works, bath, blow dry, cut, style, nails, ears, teeth. While JoJo only has to have the bath, blow dry, nails, ears, teeth. JoJo has her feet trimmed and her girly bits tidied up but that's it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker definitely needs trimming - she has quite thick and wavy fur for a beagle (and it has gotten thicker and wavier as she has gotten older) and she therefore looks so much better when she has been trimmed. The others might get a bit of a tidy up on their feet and around their edges just to keep them looking sharp - but Booker is the only one of ours who ever gets a haircut.

I notice that the show beagles usually have the tips of their tails trimmed so they are blunt on the end - I wonder why they do that as I think the flag looks so much better with a pointy end!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I use a furminator with my long haired cats as well as with Maggie. I think it is great.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know around me some of the groomers do a Furminator grooming. If I remember right it only costs like $10.00

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will look for the Furminator, thanks everyone!!

I don't dare take him to the groomers only because he is a handful and doesn't like having others (than myself) groom him, silly dog. I rather just do it myself

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking the same thing because I saw it once in a pet store for $65. Not that I mind paying that because I would, but if I can find it cheaper, that's a good deal for me

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wooo-Hoo! I found the Furminator on Ebay (the large size) for $20! Now, that I think about it the large might be too big for him

1 - 17 of 17 Posts