Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings. i am a proud new owner of a beagle dog. i did a google search for beagle dogs and found this message board. hallelujah for beagle dogs, and hallelujah for this beagle dog board!

my beagle dog is named lena. i will post a picture of her on the photo board to get the ball rolling.

cl

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you gale. that is a neat name.

there is not a lot to say about lena at this point. she eats, sleeps, poops, and bites me a lot. in my experience, this is standard puppy behavior. i am looking forward to seeing how her personality develops.

there is one thing i'm not quite clear on. maybe, gale, you can help me. i am having a hard time distinguishing a howl from a bay. lena only makes two barklike sounds: a proper bark, and a short howl-type sound where she props up on her hind legs, sticks her nose straight up in the air, turns her ears out, and goes, <span style="font-style: italic">ROOOOO</span>! this is a much deeper sound than you would expect out of a small dog. it lasts for a second or two.

i apologize if i'm asking this question in the wrong place.

cl

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Welcome to BW. It's always great to add new friends to our forum. Lena is absolutely adorable.

Her barking behavior is perfectly normal and you are correct, one is a bark and one is a howl/bey. I strongly suggest that you put your hand around her snout and give a firm NO when she does the howl. That is how we have trained our dogs not to do it. Your neighbors will be much happier with you if she only barks on occasion and forgets how to howl all together.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! Looking forward to seeing pics of Lena. My Maggie (who is now a senior of 13+ years) only barks and howls occasionally, mostly when we are playing around or she is letting me know that she wants something. I love her howl but have gotten some looks of horror in the vet's waiting room from others who have not heard that distinct sound before!

P.S. Just saw Lena's photo -- she is precious!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to you and Lena and a big AROOOOO from our pack of four (Booker, Moose, Popcorn and Buzz). I'm sure you will get lots of answers to all of your questions here - we adopted all of our gang as adult rescues so we won't personally be able to answer your puppy questions, but we have had a lot of other beagley adventures so I'm sure we'll have something to contribute eventually! And Lena is sooo cute - thanks for the puppy fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.