Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've made any posts so I just wanted to update everyone on Buddy. Overall he is doing extremely well. He was in to the Vet last month for annual booster shots and he checked out just fine. He still has his heart murmur but it hasn't changed at all since last summer. They want him back in this summer for blood work and chest X-rays. He has been on meds for the murmur along with his low thyroid issues and joint supplements. But again, he is doing great. The major difference i've noticed is that his energy level is considerably higher than before. He still prefers to sleep all day but but don't we all. At work he has been much more active.

Registered
Glad to hear Buddy is stable and doing well. How old is he?
I had an anxious times with my Ally when she was diagnosed with Cushing's. We got her meds adjusted but she had an inflamed gall bladder and abnormal liver values, which eventually resolved. Then she underwent dental work under anesthesia, which left her without an appetite. Can you imagine a beagle going 5 days without eating?! Her meds had to be given with food to avoid stomach irritation - my husband cooked and tried to hand feed - we resorted to liquid food in a syringe, she was not happy and kept trying to spit it out. She could be squirmy and strong when she wanted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
. How old is he?
Buddy is 12. When he was diagnosed with Cushing's last summer the Vet did not put him on meds for it. She said that he was doing just fine and that the only issues he may have would be drinking a bit more and peeing a bit more. She was concerned about the possible side effects of the medication.

Registered
He looks a lot like my Ally, with the fading brown on his face. Her drinking more water led us to the vet. Many tests and a small fortune to diagnose and treat Cushings. Hers was pituitary-dependent. No obvious side effects but vet did blood tests every 3 months and ultrasound every 6 months. At 15, she had 5 back teeth removed-they had gotten very bad, she wasn't very cooperative with teeth brushing. Once the stitches were out she was fine but it was a scary first 5 days. After Cushings diagnosis, the vet only expected her to live for about 1-2 years and she lived 5 more.

It's getting close to retirement and me being able to get a puppy!! We take care of my son's Yorkie during the day, he's sweet but he's just not a beagle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts