Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wondered if anyone else had come across this.
This happened once when I originally got her. I dropped something and scared her and she started licking the baseboards and carpets.

This past Friday she did it again. The only thing I can think of is that I put her crate in the car because we were staying at my daughter's over night. I think this may have upset her but I am looking for a reason for her to start the licking again. We went to my daughter's and were fine for awhile when she started to do this at my daughter's.

No adversion seems to stop her. She eventually throws up from it.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Mary

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi,
I haven't had this with my beagle girls, but with my other mutt dog. I noticed if it snows or he can't get to grass, he will lick floors, carpet... anything that has dust or hair on it so the will throw up. :pukey:

Maybe her stomache was just upset, does she get scared easily?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Pam,

She does seem to scare easily but yet attacks if she is eating a bully stick or greenie (other dogs, not me).

She is rescued and is 2 1/2. I only have her 2 1/2 months and I don't know what the poor little girl has been through.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My dog Mick is a nervous wreck. We've had him since he was 7 weeks old. He is terrified of loud noises. One of our neighbors likes to shoot off fireworks not only on the 4th on july, but anytime. He slept under our bed last weekend. He wedged himself under there really good, that I had to lift the whole bed up. But we have found him hiding under the computer desk, behind the toilet, and many other places. Then I will usually hear the carpet getting licked. Pretty gross...
With that being said, from everyone here who has older rescues I'm sure they will all tell you it takes a long time and alot of love with these dogs... Give her lots of belly rubs and reassurance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pam,

She has other issues we are working through but all in time. I love the little one and am doing everything I can for her.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Both of ours lick the floor like mad when they are feeling off. So we let them into the garden where they proceed to eat anything and everything until they throw up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow and I thought she threw up from licking the dust and carpet fibers. When I took her out for a walk to try to divert her she was eating grass like crazy. She threw up after that.

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
991 Posts
I just knew if I waited long enough someone else on the forum would have the same problem! Megan is our uncontrolled floor licker and grass, weeds, & leaves muncher. Hers is not a matter of fear or being afraid of something. It just comes out of the blue. I think it is somehow tied to food but can not put my finger on it. She started doing it this Jan. after her leg surgery. I have seen her bolt up right from sleep at 3:30 in the morning and start licking. But usually it happens after she eats. Anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours. The first go round I thought she was going to die! She at so much junk before we caught on to what was happening that she irritated her stomach and intestines to the point she was bleeding out the rear end and throwing up on the front end. So far I have been able to tame it down but by no stretch of the imagination cured it. This is what I have tried. She is on a sensitive stomach food by Royal Canin. She eats out of an elevated dish. She has several small meals and is not really a piggy about eating. She get prozyme for digestion and a digestive supplement with papaya and cranberry. This week I have started adding aloe Vera to the meals. The Vet at one time had her on Temeril but I did not see any great improvement with that. Today I watched her go toward the doggie door to join her roommates that were sunbathing outside. She just suddenly stopped and 2 seconds later her sides started going in and out & she was sucking in air, almost as if she had the hiccups and then the "I have to lick" started. When she licks it sounds as if she does have the hiccups. The grass is the next step and then the leaves. Usually she will throw it all up but sometimes she has poops that are more grass and leaves than anything else. I am also going to try gas x this week and see if that help even a little. If you come across anything that helps I would love to hear about it. Megan is the sweetest little thing and I hate to see this problem taking over. Of course if I come up with anything that help, I will post. Oh, I even tried shredded coconut when we had heavy snows and the poor thing was desperate for grass.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Snoopy licks and chews the walls/skirting boards. he's chewed the plaster off on a few corners. We've tried bitter apple to deter him..but it doesn't. The dog psych lady said it's anxiety /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Poor poops. He does get separation anxiety but does it when we're at home too ( and in the same room). Maybe he needs some valarian herb...one for him one for me!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Cow Kathleen. You described exactly how I feel. I have only had Gracie a couple of months so I don't know if this will happen often. It does seem to be an anxiety thing to me. A lady in the pet food store suggested ocean kelp in with her food. It looks like dried parsley. I just got it on Saturday so I will have to see if it helps.

Your poor Megan seems worse than Gracie but who knows what is to come for me. Is Megan a rescue dog?
I just wondered if she had previous issues.

Kerstin, I think skirting boards are baseboards in the U.S. Gracie also has chewed mine. I also tried bitter apple to no avail. I also have her toys in a wicker basket which she has chewed. My trainer said she has chewed these because she is bored. I am trying to have all types of Kong balls and bully sticks to maybe avert her from chewing what she isn't supposed to.

Mary
I definitely will let you know if I find out anything and I appreciate you doing the same.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Leia is a compulsive licker. She licks anything she finds. If we are in the car, she licks the windows, the door, the dash, the gear stick, the sun visor... Anything she can damn well reach! At night, she'll sit on the armrest of the lounge and lick it. Sometimes I don't notice it until it's sopping wet, but others I stop her.

I don't know why she does it, she just does!

Sally licks her feet a lot at night when she's tired. I don't know if this is her way of calming her down for sleep, but we've noticed it's always at night before she goes to sleep.

I just figured it was something they did. We explore with our hands, they explore with their paws, nose and ... in Leia's case, tongue /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

(... Erin)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Erin,

Do you notice Leia is in a trance like state when she is licking?

I noticed this with Gracie, just like when she is looking for rabbits.

What scared me is her licking up dust and hair ect. until she throws up. I was afraid this was an ocd thing. She just seems to do it when upset by something......for now. I am going to as my vet when i go but they usually don't know much about these things.

Thanks,
Mary

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Erin,

Now that you mention it, I can correlate Chloe licking her paws to being tired.... didn't even think about it. She does it almost everytime before falling asleep.
She also sometimes licks my pants, around the knee ( :conf6: ), but I don't mind as she stopps after a few licks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mary - I wouldn't say it's a trance like state, but she usually stops as soon as I ask her to. But she just looks at you to wonder why because she doesn't think she's doing anything wrong. She also likes licking peoples feet. Andrew doesn't like it, but it doesn't bother me. As gross as that sounds...

Eleanor - I only just made the connection as I was typing that post. I thought out it, and it's normally during the day when I get home for lunch, she does it and then goes to sleep. Or at night after they've had their chicken wings and she's settling down for her night time sleep. She hangs her paws over the side of the lounge and washes them, then goes to sleep. Andrew is a bit concerned about this as he's heard that it can stain their fur with all the licking. But, she doesn't do it ALL day, only at night. I didn't think this was enough to make her OCD.

(... Erin)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Erin,

We go for training tomorrow night so I am going to ask the trainer if she has ever come across this type of thing. See, gracie wouldn't stop when we picked her up, she just started to lick out clothes.

Mary

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gracie got me up at 2am...took her out, she didn't do anything. Came in she started licking all the carpets and chewed a baseboard, I put her in her crate with a knog. Got up at 5a.m. and she had peed all over crate and chewed the end of the kong off,I took her outside and she started eating grass like crazy. I am beside myslef.

I called the emergency vet and the nurse didn't feel this was an emergency and said to call my vet. I called and lefe a message. they come in at 8:15.

I'll let you lnow.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mary-

My dog Tinker had something similar happen this past January. It started early in the morning and went on for 2-3 hours.... with compulsive licking of the carpet, OCD-style in almost a trance-like state. Nothing we said or did could distract him, and as Kathleen mentioned, we picked him up and he continued to lick; we took him outside and he ate grass (dug under the snow).

Fortunately, I contacted a friend who has seen this behavior before with her dog, so we knew what to expect. We withheld food for the rest of the day, and he was kind of quiet. It wasn't until the following morning that he "barfed up an alien" (sorry to be so graphic, but it was truly disgusting)- it was a combo of lint and hair and grass and God knows what. :pukey:

We got a couple of mins. of it on camera (mini movie). Turn up the sound and you'll hear the air gulping and hiccuping..... and when DH calls him, he doesn't respond. The 2nd part of the movie he is mostly in shadow, but he's actually compulsively licking under an end table.

Do Gracie's bouts of licking look like this?
Tinker\'s Lickfest

I agree w/Kathleen that's it's some kind of a gastrointestinal thing. I don't know if it was a bout of Irritable Bowel Syndrome or a bug or what. But, we've only seen it happen once since (thankfully much shorter duration and he was distractable). It's really unsettling if you've never seen it before. BTW, my vet had no ideas on it either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,
Yes the video of Tinker is exactly what Gracie does. She has gotten the same sound in her throat you describe and thrown up gobs of stuff. Her bout went on for about 4 hours this morning and she was in a trance.
She has thrown up clear liquid in the past.

I sat outside with her early this morning and she ate tons of grass but hasn't thrown it up yet.

I had her at the vet this morning and he took blood work, I think more for allergies.
He thought it might be neurological or maybe OCD and said he could send me to a neurologist if I want after we see what the blood work says.

I just started crying in the office. I feel like no one is helping her. If I sound like I am babbling, I am. I am just so upset about this.

Mary

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the hug Eleanor.

I just wish I knew what to do. My daughter thinks I should see a holistic vet.

Mary

1 - 20 of 26 Posts