Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. I am so grossed out. For the first time since I have had arty he has gotten fleas. While I do admit I have not treated him with flea repellent in the last two yrs, we never had a problem.

A couple weeks ago poor arty strained his leg so we took him to the vet. The same vet who recommended us NOT to get heartworm meds bc he never sees any cases of heartworm in the area. He is an older vet who seems very bumbly and just doesnt make me feel confident in his diagnoses. Anyway, he checked over arty and jumped quickly to the conclusion that because arty is hefty that his pain was from being too fat. Then he offered to do a blood test on arty. He took arty to the back and SHAVED off a patch of fur from the furriest part of his neck without even asking. Other vets I have gone to have never needed to shave him!! He didnt even tell me .. he just put arty's collar back on and i was surprised to find a bare spot on his neck when we got home.

Anyway, a few days later arty could not stop scratching himself. I started getting bites on my arms and legs that looked like flea bites but I didn't put two and two together bc I didn't see any fleas on arty. Fast forward a few more days and I find what look like flea feces on arty and I finally accept the truth. Fleas.

So the question is- did he get fleas from the vet? Maybe even from the electric shaving tool? Like, maybe the vet shaved a gross dog before arty and then used the shaver on arty next? Do vets change the blade of the shaver between dogs? Arty is an inside dog. He has not gone to the dog park in at least a month. He only goes outside to potty, though we do live in an apt complex with other dogs that walk by the grass too, but not often.

Ugh!!!!!

What do you guys think? Also any advice on getting the fleas out of the house and not on me?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think it's definitely a possibility. Heaven knows fleas can be the most ornery things! I've seen dogs come unscathed from contact with an infestation, then on the flip side, situations like yours that leave you scratching your head as to the exact source. I've not had much experience with fleas, so I don't know how to help you get rid of them

·
Registered
511 Posts
First thing I'd do is find a new vet.

Second thing I'd do is give our exterminator a call. Fleas can be hard to get rid of once they're in the house. You'll also want the yard around the house treated so Arty doesn't pick them up again.

There are do it yourself products and I've heard mixed results. I've always relied on our exterminator and we never have bugs in the house-well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Yep, you can get them at the vet. I find that vet's offices that aren't sparkling clean and have heavy patient loads can get your pet fleas. My mom's indoor kitty (and she has no other pets or pet visitors) started getting fleas after she was at the vet.

Best bet is to get flea treatment for your beag and to bug bomb your house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts