Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my buddy, Vinny, may be having a problem.
He is fixed, 2.5 years old, house broken, except for the ocasional "can't hold it any longer" mistakes, it appears young Vince is urinating in the house instead of giving us the signal to go out.

WHat has changed? We took in Miles several months ago but they are best buddies. He and Miles have been to the dog suites for 2 weekends in a row. And lastly, my daughter (25 years old)is now living with us. Other than that, everything else is normal.

We have found 5 spots in the last 2 days. And everytime we find one, he cowers and tries to slink away. So I am quite confident he did it.

He is on Temeral (8 months) for his skin allergies and Phenobarbatol for his seizures (2 years) could that be causing it? Maybe he is jealous of my daughter?

We are baffled. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My guess would be that since Miles has been with you for awhile, Vinny's problem stems from more recent events in his life. Our furkids are very sensitive to changes in their routines. I don't know anything about Temeral, but Spook's on Phenobarbitol and it hasn't affected his ability to hold urine.

Hope you can solve the mystery soon. Give Vinny a tummy rub from me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My first idea is a bladder infection or a UTI. After that, my guess would be your daughter moving back in may have sparked some jealousy in Mr. Vincent. Either way, I'd definitely take a trip to the vets to have him checked.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I hate to add more confusion to the mix, but,,,,,,
Austin is on Temerial and our Vet said that it will make him drink more water and therefore what goes in must come out. In Austin's case frequently. I am thankful that we have a doggie door because my three can never time their bathroom trips. :doh:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Has this started since the weather has gotten hotter? If so, have you considered that maybe he's just peeing more because he's drinking more?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of this has started in the last week. The weather has been more humid but temp wise is about the same. He and Miles are in and out of the backyard what seems like a 100 times a day, so he has lots of opportunity to "go".

We have also noticed he is starting to loose his hair. Underside is nearly hairless, and the sides are getting very thin.

My guess is he is jealous of my daughter being back home. However, its off to the Vets we go on Wednesday.

Thanks for the input folks, I do appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Poor Vinny. It's sad when they know they did something they're not supposed to to do but they can't help it.

Considering the hair loss...diabetes?

Good luck, Joe.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back from the Vet. By the way our vet is just the best, he refers to all the dogs he sees as "his kids".

Any way, he thinks Vince my have a thyroid condition. He took blood to check, results on Monday. He said, thats what he hopes it is because treating the thyroid will fix the loosing hair problem and also his seizures and the skin condition.

If there is a doggy god, I am praying for that also. My wife was almost in tears when she heard that. Can't tell you how horrible it is to watch him fall over and start shaking and moaning and druling like a faucet when he has a seizure. Gives me a misty senesation in the eye area at times.

So we go in looking for a cure to 1 thing, come away with hope for curing two other conditions, it was bonus day I tell you. Fingers are crossed. :hyper:

PS: We were so excited about that, we really forgot to talk to him about the peeing in the house :smack:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, it sounds like good news for Vinny! I only had to watch Amber go through having a seizure one time, and that was more than enough! I couldn't even imagine having to do it on a regular basis. I hope that Monday brings good news for Vinny (and you and the missus too!). Give him some extra belly rubs from us.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope Monday brings the news you are hoping to hear. If the thyroid tests come back normal, you might want to ask your vet about Cushings. Although it is more common in older dogs, there are several dogs on the Cushings forum that I belong to who are younger. The hair loss and urinating could be indicators. Please feel free to PM me -- have done tons of reading/research about it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope the vet has found the answer to Vinny's problems. Seizures are tough to watch. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I'm so thankful that phenobarbitol is keeping Spook's at bay.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
One of my cats was hyperthyroid. Her first symptoms were weight loss and loss of hair. We had a choice of radiation therapy which is a permanent cure or medication. We chose the medication because she was 13 and had the beginnings of kidney failure, and some other minor medical issues. She lived a good quality of life for 5 and a half years and eventually died of an unrelated cancer. Thyroid was easy to treat so I hope that is the answer for you.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And the answer is.............THYROID is out of whack :bounce:

Good ole Dr. Matthews is hopeful and confident that at the end of 90 days on the Thyroid pills (Levothyroxine)the allergies and hair loss will be cured. :bounce2:

And most hopefull of all, Vinny's seizures will be reduced in quanity or eliminated all together. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Great news, Joe! It is my understanding that improvements can be quite dramatic. So glad problem was diagnosed quickly --- another positive is that thyroid meds aren't outrageously expensive. Sometimes there need to be tweaks to the dosing so don't be surprised if that happens with Vinny. Happy 4th!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yeah Vinny! I'm glad to hear that you got an answer to your problems. I'm also glad to hear that he's not jealous of big sis moving back home. I hope that this helps his seizure problems as well.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Vinny!

I missed this post buddy....it sounds like you've really been through it!

I'm glad there is now a diagnosis, and you'll soom be on the mend..... :wave:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts