Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby gets up at 5 a.m. to get ready for work. I usually get up too because Sadie and Pooh get up too and they want to go out to go pee. I was fixing hubbies coffee. Sadie and Pooh went in their room to look out the window. They start barking and going crazy. I look out the window to see what could be causing all this commotion. I didn't see anything at first, but then in the dark I make out the shape of a dog. It looked like one of the neighbors Snaussers. I go out to see with my flashlight. Sure enough, it is Samson. I know he should not be out. He lives next door. They have a girl and a boy Snausser. I walk him over to his house and their house is dark. Their garage door is open and the light on, so I go in and try the door to their house. Luckily it was unlocked. I open the door and shoo Samson inside. Later I call them to be sure Samson is ok. They came over to thank me. Turns out Samson had got out of his yard yesterday evening. He somehow pushed a board aside and got out of the fence. They had looked for him all evening up and down the road. They said there we so upset, but went on to bed and thought first thing when they woke up they would continue looking and put out signs. They said when they woke up and found him in the house safe and sound they were so happy!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Boy with some of the crummy stuff you read and hear now a days, I certainly needed a good story with a good ending. You are Samson's guardian angel. A big round of applause for Pooh and Sadie also.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Happy would be an understatement!! I'm sure that Samson and his owners are very grateful!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I love it when stuff like that happens. I actually scooped somebody's cocker spaniel out of traffic one day on my way home from work. They were running beside the road freaking out. I pulled my car over, jumped out, and chased him through traffic (I love to run, what can I say?) He turned around and came right to me lol.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That is so cool!!! Not just the happy dog ending, but the fact that you know your neighbors well enough to be able to put him back in the house! That's becoming more and more rare to have neighbors that look out for ya like you did!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think if the same thing happened to me that I would wake up thinking that the dog had been home all night, hiding somewhere in the house and that I was simply going crazy! What a nice neighbor you are. Some of our neighbors would have simply called animal control I am afraid.

I'm sure glad that your neighbors don't keep a loaded gun in the house though because if I happened to hear someone open my door (I'm a very light sleeper) I might have been inclined to think it was a robber. I don't believe in guns though so my baseball bat would have just been held handy. lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally Posted By: Toby & LuckyThat is so cool!!! Not just the happy dog ending, but the fact that you know your neighbors well enough to be able to put him back in the house! That's becoming more and more rare to have neighbors that look out for ya like you did!
I second that, its becoming more and more rare. Its great that you have a neighbor that you know well enough that you could put their dog back into the house without asking and not have to worry that when you did this good deed that they would call the cops on you for some BS thing like breaking and entering. I am sure, that in the eyes of the law, you did the wrong thing if the neighbor chose to see it that way.

I too, took a dog home today. I live in a small town, with a semi busy highway going through it. I saw the dog on the other side of the highway and knew whos dog it was so I grabbed the leash. I never met the basset hound, but knew its name. I got close to him, yelled his name, and like all good beagles and bassets he just ran over to me. Put the leash on and took him on a short walk back home. The owners didnt realize he was gone.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Well done! I would have loved to have seen their faces when they got up and found him.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I told our neighbor that if his door had been locked, I would have had to knock and wake them up. He said, Oh No problem. Please, anytime something like that happens don't hesitate to wake us up or whatever it takes. Now, knowing that Samson had been missing all night, I probably would have knocked anyway to let them know he was found. I thought maybe he had just got out and hadn't been out very long.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Great story! I had the same reactions as Donna, i.e., that they must have thought they were hallucinating when they saw Samson in the house and it is lucky they didn't hear you and treat you like an intruder. I do wonder why they hadn't knocked on your door the night before when they were looking for him ...

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They have only lived there a few months. It is a young couple. Samsom got out on Christmas Eve too. My hubbie brought him home to them that time. He needs to keep his little self at home and quick escaping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts