Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my JoJo had a false pregnancy in April, I've been reluctant to post anything about a possible pregnancy this time. To be honest, I have been unable to tell if she is, in fact, pregnant. She's not as big as with previous pregnancies - but her nipples are very enlarged - and it looks as though her milk is coming in. According to the whelping calendar, she was DUE on October 4th. After talking to my vet a couple of weeks ago, I finally decided to settle this question for once and for all. Yesterday I took her to the vet - after examining her, he said he would be very surprised if she is, in fact, pregnant. Just to be sure, we had an x-ray taken, and when he called me later, he said he could see only ONE puppy head. So she IS pregnant, though I was hoping for a larger litter since this will be her and Tanna's last litter - and I had hoped to send at least one pup to a friend to train for field trails (he's a judge and trainer and he's wanted pups from them for a long time because of their pedigrees). I'm very concerned about JoJo and her baby - please keep her and the baby in your thoughts. She is very healthy - she's always an excellent mom, I'm just concerned about her and the baby.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Java and I are hoping for a safe pregnancy for both mother and pup!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone! I rushed home today to see if she'd popped that puppy out, but alas, no puppy. However, the others are really sniffing her behind - and she is doing a LOT of cleaning her behind. She just got into the box down here and was nesting - I HOPE she is in labor. This is so hard - please keep my pretty girl in your thoughts for a fast, easy delivery for her. This will be her last pregnancy and I just hope it goes well and she has a beautiful healthy puppy. After losing 3 of the 4 pups in her last litter, this one is very precious to us.
Hugs 'n puppy kisses. Glenda 'n JoJo

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's now almost 1 am - and JoJo is definitely in labor - I don't have good feelings about this lengthy labor. I just came downstairs to give everyone an update. Please keep all fingers and toes crossed for my precious girl and HER baby.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a very lengthy labor, JoJo gave birth to a stillborn pup at about 4 am. She is still looking for her baby - and my heart is breaking for her.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm so sorry

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Do you know of anyone with orphaned pups? JoJo could rear them. If not tell your vet and he can give her something to stop the milk. Get rid of any nesting boxes, soft toys and so on until she is over this. I think it sounds like her breeding days are over and maybe she should be operated on to make sure. Poor girl will be feeling very mixed up.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is definitely her last litter. She isn't very old - she was 4 in May - her mother and maternal grandmother were both great breeders, this is JoJo's 3rd litter - she had 5 healthy puppies her first litter. The 2nd born April 22, 2007, there were 4 puppies - 1 stillborn, 2 very small (one didn't survive), and she rolled over on the larger male the same night that the smaller male died. Only Angel survived of that litter. I won't put her - or me - through this again. The vet and had hoped that last time was just one of those things and we'd try again. I won't put her (or me) through that again. As soon as she's feeling better she'll be spayed. Thank you all for your good wishes. I don't know anyone with puppies (or even kittens).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts