Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound odd, but my new beagle pup seems unusually good. She's almost 5 months old, and we've had her for 1 month. She is basically completely house-trained and lets us know when she needs to go out. She's really lazy and sleeps most of the time. We walk her twice a day for about 15 minutes. She doesn't chew on anything but her chew toys. She has yet to make a sound, except to whimper at night or when she's alone. She's has stopped crying in her crate at night. She knows sit, stay and come commands.

I'm not listing these things to brag, but is this normal for the breed... or is it possible she'll enter her "Terrible twos" when she's older? Will she eventually learn to bark... and possibly howl? I expected a puppy to be full of energy, and she does get bursts, but for about 10 minutes at a time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Lucky SOB...hehe..jk

Anyway, Snoopy is so the atypical beagle..got him from rescue, so dont know how much training he had before, but he never barks, have only heard him howel once in almost 2 years, sleeps all the time...we are scarred to get another beagle b/c he is so perfect.

BUT...dont count your blessings yet, things may change, growing beagles can develop their personalities at any time....beware..hehe.

Have fun while it lasts...and if it lasts longer, GREAT for you guys

Amanda

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It could be the calm before the storm, but enjoy it whilst it lasts. As long as your pup seems healthy I wouldnt worry,.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by matt:
This may sound odd, but my new beagle pup seems unusually good. She's almost 5 months old, and we've had her for 1 month. She is basically completely house-trained and lets us know when she needs to go out. She's really lazy and sleeps most of the time. We walk her twice a day for about 15 minutes. She doesn't chew on anything but her chew toys. She has yet to make a sound, except to whimper at night or when she's alone. She's has stopped crying in her crate at night. She knows sit, stay and come commands.

I'm not listing these things to brag, but is this normal for the breed... or is it possible she'll enter her "Terrible twos" when she's older? Will she eventually learn to bark... and possibly howl? I expected a puppy to be full of energy, and she does get bursts, but for about 10 minutes at a time.
This is sssssssssso not the norm for beagle puppies so enjoy while you can !! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Does she seem skittish or real jumpy like she may have been mistreated before you got her ?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I never had a beagle puppy and from what I know about puppies, i say you are fortunate but I've had my good dog for 9 and half years and he has all the manners of your pup. He's barked once, to alert me to the police chasing a prowler through the back yard and with the exception of a book cover never chewed anything including his toys. I say you have a good dog, I know I do.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've had my good dog for 7 years. Li'l Girl was a year to 18 months old when I adopted her. She's always been very well behaved. :angel: We have three other dogs, so she will join in the barking, but she's not a loud dog. Several times a day I tell her that she's my angel girl. :heart:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Perhaps you should meet my Polly, the chewer of all the things, like blankets, curtains, pillows, pool tarps...she barks and barks even AFTER she figures it out...and she digs and digs....I think you are very lucky and should love your pup like crazy!!!! :bounce:
We love our Polly, don't get me wrong, but she makes it challenging!! :heart:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
interesting comments. thanks everyone. Today we were at the dog park and some comment about how good and mild she was.... "especially for a beagle...". She was a bit older for a pet store pup, a little less than 4 months old. She seems very healthy and very happy. She does get spurts of energy and plays fetch and we chase her around, but she gets tired after about 10 minutes. Sometimes she seems bored like she wants something, or has energy, but playing fetch or giving her attention like holding her isn't enough. She gives up and goes to sleep.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Matt,

Count your blessings pal. My Rio was shot out of a cannon from the start (taken in at 8wks old). You have a VERY beautiful looking little girl. Treat her well ands enjoy her immensely!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I got Charlie is a pup from a breeder, and it varies, sometime he is an angel, sometime :evilgrin:
I can tell he knows he did something wrong, tail tucked, ears down, walk around the area where he pooped even after I cleaned it up.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Matt -- I hate to be the pessimist in the group and I know you are enjoying quiet Ms. Molly but it strikes me as a bit odd that she is such a quiet puppy. Two 15-minute walks a day are very short and certainly not enough to tire a typical puppy. I suggest that you might want to talk to your vet about Molly's patterns at your next visit with her -- maybe keep notes for a couple of weeks before the visit of periods of sleep/exercise/play. I would want to make certain that there is nothing physical going on affecting her energy level. Just my two cents ...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Matt, you are very lucky! Jersey was a holy terror when she was a puppy. I adopted her when she was around 8-9 weeks old. She was soooooo bad. Chewed everything in site, peed in the house, woke up at 4 A.M. to zoomie around the living room, stole everything she could get her paws on (she still has some kleptomaniac tendencies). The only thing she never did was bark a lot. Unless you count the howling she does when the separation anxiety kicks in when we leave her alone, she rarely ever barks. A year of obedience training and lots of patience turned her into a great dog now. Remembering the bad puppy stages make me appreciate the good girl she is now.

That being said, it sounds very unlike a Beagle (or any puppy really) that she sleeps so much. As Judy suggested I would run her behaviors by your vet and see what he/she thinks. It is possible you just have a very good dog.

·
Registered
448 Posts
What a cutie!! And the puppy is cute too! LOL JUST KIDDING SERIOUSLY! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Anyhow--- it sounds like you got a pretty mellow beagle. My Harley is like that too. He is pretty laid back, will hold his pee til you let him out, and is a wonderful pup. But he did go thru his chewing phase and everything like most of the pups here.
I would just ask the vet though too, if you have a good relationship with your vet, and talk to them about how mellow she is, etc. Just as a precaution, not a big deal.
! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Glad your here, looking forward to more pics and more news about your new pup!
Judi and the gang

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome! Molly is a beautiful little girl! I'll agree that she doesn't sound like the typical beagle. But I'm sure you've had her checked out by a vet? Especially since she was a pet store dog? Maybe she's just taking a little time getting used to the outside world after so long in a cage.If she's healthy and happy, I wouldn't worry. One day you'll be awakened at 3 in the morning by your barking beagle baby, and you'll be longing for the good old days!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
Matt,the burst of energy and getting bored easy are both normal for a beagle. And right now with the hot weather we are having my beagle will stay inside a lot and is napping most of the time. But let the neighborhood kids appear and he is right out there with them ! So ENJOY the quiet time! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
112 Posts
Aww your Molly looks just like my Molly! :exactly:

I received my girl when she was 4mos also from a pet shop - and she was the exactly same way - I expected a rambunctious puppy but instead she was very quite and shy - she didn't make a peep for the first month or so that we had her she was hard to house break, but for the most part very timid and not a little trouble maker at all.

Like yourself when I'm out walking her or at the Vet people will comment on how quite and shy is.

Anyway she did out grow her some of her inhibitions and has settled into her own now - she is 3yrs old now and very active and has definatley found her voice!- I think a big part of it was adjusting from her pet shop beginning.

Good luck - Take care of that cute little puppy :heart:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Molly is too cute! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif When I first got Lucky, he was the same way as Molly but that was because he was sick. This may not be the case with Molly. She may be just a quiet puppy. My guess is this will not last. Hopefully for you, it will!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
How cute! She looks just like my Duke. Duke was a really good boy, too. For about 2 days! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It may not be norm for the breed, but don't borrow trouble. If the terrible 2s do hit, at least you know the basic areas of grief that most have to deal with are over, such as potty training and learning basic commands. At 4-1/2 months, we're still working on potty training, though Duke has made huge progress.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts