Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres plenty of opinions out there about rawhide
bones for our pooches. whats your opinion on the rawhide bones? i know ive given them to my dogs for years now. thing is, lots of folks out there say they are very bad for our dogs. im gonna ask bernies nutritionist tomorrow. i'll report what she says. in the meantime, it would be interesting to hear what you folks are thinking.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I hate rawhide. There have been a few times when Lilly has choked on rawhide when I used to give them to her before I found out about the dangers. I never give them to Rosa anymore. My vet said they are dangerous because dogs have a habit of swallowing peices that are too big because they can't chew them up. They are fattening as well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
and I love rawhide /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I think its a good, low fat chewing option for some dogs. I think it depends on the dog though, some dogs tend to chew off pieces that are too large, or even each the bones whole, so I think it's important to know your dogs chewing habits when selecting chew treats. It's also recommended to not leave your dog alone with such treats, just in case. My dogs get a lot of rawhide treats to chew on, and we've never had problems.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I hate rawhide. Spencer managed to eat a chunk as a pup and had the squirts for a week straight. Poor thing. Rawhide is fine for chewing but should never be swallowed because it can not be digested. I think as long as they are monitored with them, then they are ok.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Perhaps Bernie has better manners than my two. I tried rawhide, but they bit off large chunks and got sick. Same with pig ears.
That's when I switched to marrow bones. After the marrow was cleaned out, I would fill the bone with peanut butter and kibble; they would work at it all day.....narrow opening took TIME to clean out clear to the middle.

Lately, Cal's vet put a stop to marrow bones. His teeth are breaking (age),and the bones were too hard; so we are sticking with Kong toys only at our house.

They LOVED the marrow bones.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Rosa loves a real marrow bone too but i don't give her one too often because they are so hard that they can break teeth and wear away the enamel on their teeth which leeds to decay...so i'm told anyway.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
UGLY!

Murphy used to get them years ago. He loved them. But after numerous choking episodes and one bag of contaminated pigs ears, no rawhide for our dogs ever again.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:
Rosa loves a real marrow bone too but i don't give her one too often because they are so hard that they can break teeth and wear away the enamel on their teeth which leeds to decay...so i'm told anyway.
Agreed! After Cal's recent experience, I've been telling my friends to limit marrow bones to the 'now and then' treat list.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well, Lucky has rawhide bones all the time. He has never once choked on them. He just chews on them and trust me they last forever. He has bones that my family dog had when she was a puppy 16 years ago. He still works on them. He never bites off a piece. I guess it really depends on the dog. If they bite pieces off, then rawhides are bad for them. Lucky is a strong chewer so he needs rawhides to keep him busy. He doesn't like to bite them, just chew them. I think they are the greatest thing ever for Lucky!!!

Jenn & Lucky

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is picky with what she eats including treats. I gave her a rawhide bone with flavoring in it once and she loved it so that's what I've been giving her ever since. Never has she had any sort of problem with them.

She doesn't chew on the kong type toys or other types of bones...so it's pretty much either chew sticks or rawhide bones (or the wooden windowsills) for her to get that knawing instinct out on.

Plus she chews the big knots at the end first, I always get her bones bigger than what she can swallow at once and she chews the bones to absolute bits so I'm not worried about any sort of blockage.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Miss Shiloh is such a pig, she can never just chew rawhide or pig ears without eating them, and after all the scares people had with their dogs choking on them, I quit buying them. The rawhides weren't her favorite anyway, but boy did she love those pig ears. (Of course...they were incredibly stinky :eyes: )

·
Registered
991 Posts
I all so had trouble with the chocking and throwing up because the little piggy dogs loved them. What really turned me against them was reading somewhere is that they were treated with all sorts of chemicals and preservatives. :pukey:
So now it is the nylabone, which only Megan likes, or crunchy baked treats which everyone likes.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't use rawhides with Jersey. She gets the Nylabone Healthy Edibles or these big puffed out sow ears made by Merrick. The sow ears are expensive (about $2 each) but they last her about a week. She can't get big pieces off of it. She tries to peel the skin off, but so far has only managed to get small pieces off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ive not had a problem with rawhide. bernie likes them, but only the light tan ones. the only problem is that it blocks him up for a couple of days and he dont poo as much.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I do not give rawhide treats. The last time was several years ago when Li'l Girl thought Traveler was going to get hers, and she swallowed it whole. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Like to have scared me to death, so that was the end of rawhides!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had a Chihuahua before I got the girls and my Anniegirl could chew on a rawhide for weeks.

I have also used rawhides with the Girls but Chloe is a little hog and Hubby and I have had to hold her down and pull a rawhide out of her throat a couple of times. NO more rawhides in our house for a long time! Now we just use real bones bought from the butcher.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts