Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
lots of good points ...I need to print that for my unexperienced applicants to adopt !!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
This is the same article that was in our paper last week. I thought it was excellent and it contributed to our decision to adopt a rescue beagle as our next animal. Thanks for posting the link!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Originally Posted By: maggiebeagleWhat a great article, thank you for sharing!!

Hi, I'm new to the forum - judymaggie told me about it and this is my first post.

I really so love your signature - it is so true and especially so for me today as I am struggling with having to make the decision to put my 12 year old (beloved) malamute, Makaella down. She has Cushing's and a horrible spine and wasting away of her hind legs. It's complicated but she's not eating and if she doesn't start today or tomorrow, I will probably have to put her down.

I knew the time was coming but did not think it was this soon. I just got the news on Friday and am still processing it. Part of that process for me is to look for hope for afterwards which, at this moment, feels bleak. I cannot imagine this house/my life without her in it, she has been my child, my baby since I took her home at 8 weeks.

Over the last couple years - I put her mate Simon (120 LB malamute) down this coming Tuesday last year - I've thought about what dog I would get when the time came. I simply cannot resist the beagle face - I used to think there was nothing on earth more precious than a malamute puppy but I have to admit, the beagle is right there.

I also rode horses for 30 years and though never hunted with hounds, I rode English hunters and jumpers so there is a connection, if loose, to beagles in that way.

Anyway, I'm rambling in my sadness at the moment and looking for insight into one particular aspect of the beagle: the howling (talking). Malamutes howl but very selectively. They, or mine anyway, didn't bark or howl at passing squirrels or people knocking at the door, they serenaded the police cars and tornado siren across the street.

I'm not sure I could live with a dog that barked constantly and since I have a big outdoor kennel, nor could my neighbors if the barking was continuous. I've talked to a dozen or more beagle owners around town including the dog trainer of thirty years to whom I took Simon and Makaella. If you think beagles are stubborn - try a malamute. If Makaella's paw had a middle finger, it would be worn down by now. She gives new meaning to the term bitch....

As I am aging I have developed a bad hip, knee and hands from arthritits. I'm only 53 but mal's are bred to pull heavy supplies across the Alaskan tundra and just as a beagle is born to hunt, a malamute pulls and pulls hard and two at a combined weight of alost two hundred pounds is nothing to sneeze at! I love big dogs but I just don't think looking forward over the next ten to fifteen years that it would be the right decision or fair to a malamute as I would surely cut back on their walks.

Anyway, I just wanted to know more about the beagle. The only problem I can forsee is the barking and I wondered how many of you feel that it is a big issue and not trainable? Should I stay away from the breed if the barking/howling is an all day thing? BTW: I would get two to keep themselves company - better or worse on the barking issue?

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded...

Makaella's Mom

·
Registered
959 Posts
thanks for sharing the article. How true it is to do your homework BEFORE you bring the pup home. We have looked at several beagle pups in the last month, that are more like 4 - 8 months old, and the owners didn't know that beagles made noise?
To me that is a foreign concept, but I guess if you don't do your homework, there are many surprises.

No new baby at our house, YET! But, the right one will come along, I have great faith.

Cathy J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts