Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back form the vet. I wanted to take Pooh Bear in today with a urine sample to get re checked since he finished the 10 days of strong antibiotic. I just didn't think he has his energy that he should. But overall he seemed better after the antibiotic. I just wanted him re-checked. (the last 2 urine tests he had showed blood in the urine) We go in and the vet comes in with some papers and says she owes me and Pooh Bear an apology. She has the urine culture results in her hands, and she had misread it when it came in back in January. Back in January, she had called me with the results and said they were negavive. She was wrong. It shows a positive for Bladder Tumor Antigen. (Darn) Which means he probably has a bladder tumor. She felt he bladder and did not feel it. It is probably tiny and just started. I just can't believe it. The report also says that blood in the urine can cause a false positive on this test. His urine had blood in it that they did the culture on. The urine test today showed just trace amount of blood in the urine. She sees no other reason for him to have blood in the urine except for this.

Now the good news. She says he is a healthy dog in every way. This can be treated simply with a pill. It is treated by giving Feldine (which is a anti-inflamatory) med. It is the drug of choice for treating bladder tumors. She gave me a prescription for it. It is a human med. Hubbie used to take it for neck pain.

With treatment he can live a perfectly normal life, thank heavens.

We love our vet and are in no way mad or upset. As often as we are in, she would have seen this positive result soon anyway.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I am glad there is good news in all this! As you know, am awaiting results of Maggie's urine culture. Maybe there is something in our Florida water??
Am curious about something -- if blood in the urine can cause a false positive and Pooh Bear had blood in his urine, isn't it possible that the positive culture for the "Bladder Tumor Antigen" is incorrect? I've been reading like crazy since Mags had so much blood in her urine. I thought that I read that blood in the urine can be from a urinary tract infection or bladder stones. Was the culture negative for bacteria?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Did she mention what kind of bladder tumor it is?

She might be a nice vet BUT this is your beagle's health and life you're talking about. If she overlooked or misread something like that (a tumor for crying out loud!) what else could be inaccurate??

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I've got the paperwork out now.

The culture only tested for one thing, which was Bladder Tumor Antigen which shows positive. It does state that hemature (blood) may cause false positives. We are going to do this medication for 1 week, then she is going to test his urine again for blood. If no blood, then she can culture it again with a clean sample and see how it comes out. Yes our vet is very conservative. So, I will be sure to have him back in 1 week for the urine test.

The paper calls it TCC - Transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder in dogs. The urine strip she did today only showed trace amount of blood. All the other tests on the strip were normal. There were about 10 different things on the strip. He doesn't have any white blood cells in there to indicate infection.

Believe me I will stay on top of this. And we will see another vet if needed. There is a larger clinic one city over that I can take him to. I'm going to give it a week and we'll see how the next urine test comes out.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
If you're like me, you'll worry about him no matter what! I pray the pill will take care of the hematuria, and he'll be feeling better soon.
Prayers and best wishes from Maggie, Cal and me!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope he is soon sorted out, always worrying when a fur kid is ill. Thinking of you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sounds like you and your vet have the situation well in hand! I happen to like conservative vets (and medical doctors). I am pretty certain that Maggie's vet did a routine culture, not the one done for Pooh Bear. Please be sure to give us updates!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Pooh Bear! I hope that the medication works and that he's feeling better soon. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Give Pooh Bear some extra hugs and kisses from me and Jersey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts