Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had me worried, so I took him to the vet today. In his youth, he
was a "very Buff" 45 lbs! Yet today he is barely over 28 lbs!
(I may have cut too much fat out of his diet!) He still acts like
a much younger beag but I clearly must feed him some more of the
"bad foods" to get him back to at least 30 lbs! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wave.gifI did
remember this time to ask if Goober was their eldest beag patient
& learned that Goobs is their second oldest as their eldest beag
patient is over 17 yrs old! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif (I would NEVER have thought
that in order to extend my elder beagles life....was to try to
fatten him up)!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Easter is the perfect weekend to find all kinds of junk food available after the party!!
Red, I'm glad Goob's weight loss doesn't mean he's ill......Goober, enjoy the upcoming feast!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Hi Red, glad the only problem with Goober is to fatten him up...should not be a problem with a beagle appetite.
I've got a bunch of seniors too, 14 and 2 10yr olds, their appetite have not demished at all.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker, Moose and Popcorn are most jealous of Goober - the vet only ever tells them to lose weight, not gain it! Come to think of it, I am jealous of Goober too!!!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all! And yes...I wish I had a problem keeping weight on!
I have been struggling to drop below 170 lbs to get to my ideal
weight of 145 to 150lbs! (The very day) I hit 169lbs was when I broke my left ankle!(rolleyes) And welcome back 7beaglady... I
have not seen you here for some time!(thumbup)! And lucky for
Goober that today is easter sunday & he will get 2 hardboiled
eggs as well as Homer....(but unlucky for me)"phewww"! But it
will be worth it as long as Goobs gains some weight!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Goober's weight loss isn't anything serious but just too strict of a diet. It should be easy to fatten him up. I know that I'll never have that problem with Jersey.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Glad to hear Goober's weight loss isn't health related. Lucky him to get to eat more bad stuff, though he deserves it!

Ours are getting eggs as an Easter treat today, too. We'll have the Annual Dog Easter Egg Hunt in the backyard this afternoon. This is Duke's first, so it should be hilarious. Hope Goob enjoys his treats!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Many senior dogs lose weight. Our Misty, who's always been thin since she's a whippet, started looking even thinner several months ago. I bought a food with an amount of protein that's equal to that in puppy food, but it's for grown dogs. She looks like she's put on a little weight since starting the new food. Although she's not quite as old as Goober, she's getting up there at 13-1/2 years.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Goober ate very well this past sunday & I even gave him several
pieces of bacon to go with his eggs! Wild game is just too lean
for him as he "needs to engorge himself with pork" like Homer
Simpson!!! (I'll get him back to a normal weight in no time) as
long as he keeps "snarfing-down" high-fat foods!(thumbup)!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I actually think that 28lbs is a healthy weight for a beagle, I wouldn't be worries, just don't let him lose any more. Spencer is at 26lbs and Sydney is at 23lbs, I would like her to lose a few (but she is a 13 inch)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kioko lost a bit of weight too, and it scared me! Vet says to have her eat more and that it's nothing serious. I'm so glad that Goober is not suffering anything medical. Have fun spoiling him!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts