Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

We love our 1 year old girl, but when visitors come over, she goes absolutely wild! To the point that is indeed embarrassing for us, and our friends/family think we can't "control" her.

After about 10-15 minutes she'll calm down usually, but that seems to take forever.

So - does anyone have experience with this? We've worked with her being on leash when people ring the doorbell, people giving her treats, etc, but nothing seems to work. She just gets so excited and wants to jump, lick, all of that. It's generally ok if the person is comfortable with dogs, but for others, like my mother for example, I can tell it's scary. I know my girl won't do anyone harm, but that doesnt make my mom or anyone else any more comfortable.

Will she grow out of this? I've heard 2 years is a good gauge of how beagles will behave the rest of their adult life...

Any advice? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Consistent training with this issue should help, it may take a very long time.

We used to put our beags in another room when people came over and let them out slowly. This worked ok for one beag but not the others.
More successfully, we took the dogs outside and let them sniff/greet our guests before coming in the house.

Good luck and don't give up :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Crazy with visitors too!

Penny goes absolutely nuts when we have visitors too !:happydance:
I used to tell her "down", "stop" etc, but her Beagle ears did not listen! Then one day one of our visitors said "hello" to Penny and then "go away" (pushing gently) and lo and behold, Penny took notice! We now encourage visitors to take charge and it seems to work. We have found that those visitors who are firm and say "hello" and then "go away" seem to have the greatest success. Those who "tolerate" Penny's behaviour seem to have the hardest time (she is all over them and will even sit on their lap!).

We do put Penny on the leash if she isn't listening and she calms down very quickly. Also I have started putting both dogs outside once the "hello's" are over and done with - I initially expected Penny to go crazy when she was separated from the visitors, but strangely enough, she is accepting that this is now the norm - as long as they have said "hello" and "go away".

·
Registered
287 Posts
One thing I'm trying with Quinn that I saw a family friend do is make the dog stay until the people are ready to be greeted. If there are dogs, people should be aware that they are going to be excited to see visitors. My friends would make the dogs go to their spot until the visitors were ready to be greeted. The visitors got their greeting, and then they calmed down. If they didn't, they would be reprimanded.

The dogs are very well behaved, needless to say. I've been working with Quinn on this. I make her sit and stay while the visitor comes in. Then, I let her greet them. She gets so excited to see anyone. If they give her attention and say hello, she usually calms down almost immediately after. If they don't, she will try to demand attention until she receives it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same problem

My girls do the same exact thing. It embarrassing and frustrating. They are so excited by guests.

They are lap dogs, so the couch is generally their domain. This makes matters really hard when guests are on the couch. The beagles expect to be able to be up their too and take part in all the festivities. This New Year's Eve I had a small gathering at my house. I spent the whole night trying to keep the girls off of the couch and away from the guests. I eventually had to sit in the floor with them. They were not necessarily wild, they just didn't settle down because they were not in their usual spots on the couch. I know that my guests were very uncomfortable which made me feel terrible and on edge. I am so glad you posted about your problem. I hope that we get some more good advice and tips. I think my girls are almost perfect. :) If I could fix this little problem, I would be so happy.Good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
We use a baby gate to block them from charging greets at the door, when people reach the baby gate they hand a treat through the gate, open gate pet the dogs then say that's enough after a few times it should work. I have no advice on how to have a beag totally quiet when people come over, it's more like hey look at me this is my house say hi too me please pet me i'm starved for attention haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great responses. It sounds like this will just be something that we'll have to work on, and hope it gradually gets better. I can empathize for sure with your new years party Bergen.

I agree that an assertive guest makes a difference.

Here is what I try to do with guests now, maybe we can discuss strategies and what has/hasn't worked for people?

When friends/family come over now, I try to have boone on leash and I ask the guest to stand still and ignore boone until she sits. Of course, this rarely happens. The guest invariably wants to move, or for whatever reason refuses to ignore boone, or (most often) thinks they know what to do because they've seen an episode or two of dog whisperer :D

This has actually worked once though, and it was encouraging. Mind you, once out of twenty or so times, but once nevertheless.

I think we'll continue trying hard to do it this way. I would love to be able to have the doorbell ring, be able to just say "come on in", and have everything be calm and normal... sounds like that might be a pipe dream though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts