Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....

I have been a long time reader member of beagle world and read it almost daily, but haven't been very active with the writing messages part..I will sure try to do so from now on..

We have had Dexter (1 and half year old male beagle who is spayed) for over a year now and he is doing great. He has been to the puppy obedience class as well as intermediate class and has done very well. I practice with him in the house and he is super duper (also because I always have a treat for him when I am training him)..however outside the house on a walk is a whole different deal...

Dexter goes crazy when he sees another dog or person walking by...he is not aggressive (I think so, since his hair doesn't stand up)..but he starts to pull and bark and howl like crazy...(personally I think he just wants to play)...but when you try to pull him away..he has no hesitation in actually nipping at you and even sometimes biting you in the leg..(mainly I think cause he is mad that we are pulling him away)...We have taught him the "leave it" command and he is great with it in the house, but outside it doesn't work at all..even taking a tasty treat like a hot dog doesn't work...inside the house will do anything for a treat like that...

Our trainer thinks that we need to socialize him more...and that he just loves to play...but he has nipped and bit me pretty bad a few times now and I starting to get worried...

he is like that with strangers when they come to our house too..but calms down after some time if you ignore him...

Please help!!!

Thanks
Toke and Dexter

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would suggest using a spray bottle inside the house. Maybe even on walks. Whenever he is doing something you don't approve, just say No! with a firm voice and spray him with the water bottle. Most dogs don't like that and get the picture after a few times, so when you say No!, they stop if only not to be sprayed...
When he obeys, give him a treat and praise him. I'm sure it will work.
You shouldn't allow him to bite you or anyone else for that matter under any sircumstances :nono5:
Socializing in very very important. Chloe is much more relaxed around other dogs since I've started taking her to the dog park, she plays and releases energy that way. She loves her 4 legged friends (all shapes and sizes) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do use a spray bottle...which works real well in the house..outside...he doesn't care...you could spray the heck out of it and it just doesn't seem to phase him...maybe i will buy a bigger and better spray bottle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
oddly enough, we have more trouble inside our house, rather than on walks...when I see a person or dog approaching, I warn my Beag's "no barking, be good, no barking" etc...and amazingly enough, it works. they will whine softly, but they usually obey.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I agree with Chloe's mom, most dogs hate the spray bottle, I said "hate" not afraid, they do not get frighten of it, the mist will just make them back off, pay attention. I actually got this trick from Charlie's trainer. Get her on a "sit" command, that will also put her in a calmer mode. I'm beginning to walk Charlie with a spray bottle too, as Vonny mentioned, when you walk the dog, they are on leash, restraint and they can not fight when in danger, so they are more aggressive and defensive fearing that the other dog might attack. Exactly what Charlie is doing on his walks, but not in the dog park off leash. I stopped using the bark collar, he is behaving better. He kind of knows the shhh "be quiet" whisper command. :hi:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well my Bagel also goes crazy when he sees another dog, arrrooooing and pulling me toward the dog. He is somewhat the same with people, mainly kids. I'm sure Dexter just wants to make friends.

However, My Bagel would never nip or bite and that isn't something to let go by. One suggestion is that I've have the Bagel sit when he gets so excited. He would try to greet other humans by standing on his hind legs and leaning on them with his front paws. I'd say PAWS and if he touched them, make him sit! It took him about three times to realize touching first wasn't allowed. Now he still dances on his hind legs to greet people but doesn't touch them for fear of being forced to sit. I then had to teach him the command OK when the human would pat their leg for him to come closer. Perhaps if you say something like CALM or CHILL and if he persists in pulling, make him sit. I suspect Dexter will figure it out. You might get on of your friends to meet ya on a walk and once he gets the idea, have your friend lavish Dexter with praise. Just a thought!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts