Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go Say Hi

I'm so excited!!! Chloe and I signed up to the ASPCA "Go Say Hi" training for dog assistance therapy. It's 6 weeks of classes and then we will be evaluated by the Delta Society. If we pass the evaluation - we'll be a team!

Wish us luck /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/gaah.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Go Say Hi

Oh, I really wish you good luck! I think dog assistance therapy is a wonderful program. A friend and I took puppies and dogs from a shelter to visit nursing homes once a month for ten years. It was so rewarding! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts

That's awesome, I want to do that with Spencer as well. Need to work on a few things before we can be tested for out CGN and then go for our therapy dog license after that.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts

That's wonderful news! I'll be that you both "graduate" at the top of the class.

If I'm ever settled in a retirement home, hopefully a beagle like Miss Chloe will come see me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_exclaim.gif

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Denise, it's funny that you say you hope someone will bring a beagle to visit you when you're in a retirement home.

While I was doing the nursing home visiting with the puppies and dogs, I was once interviewed by a reporter from the local newspaper. When she asked why I did the visiting, I told her that I hoped that someday someone would do the same for me. She thought that was an interesting response but, to me, it was logical and heartfelt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts

Sandy,

Truer words were never spoken.

Of course, I get all excited when I see service dogs in Kroger or any dog anywhere!

In a nursing home the excitement would only be magnified a thousand-fold.

~Denise

·
Registered
865 Posts

I can't wait to hear about the classes!!! That is really awesome!

·
Registered
443 Posts

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grr.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif Oh I am just so happy for you & Chloe that you decided to go for it. I can't believe that more Beagles are not involved in therapy work - my Shiloh is such a natural & so relaxed when we visit. He does get excited when he knows we are going but when he is actually in a patient's room or visiting with patients in their group room then he quiets right down. I just know that you & Chloe will do just great. Is that the Hudson Valley Humane Society? They have a website that offers a lot of good info - which you have probably already checked out. Here is a pic of the Delta Society name badge for me & Shiloh plus the little round tag that Shiloh wears-

kinda fuzzy but ok

When I was on their website (Hudson Valley) I noticed there was a link about the READ program - Shiloh & I also do that altho we can only go to our city library since I am working full time. This is also something that it seems like Shiloh is a natural at. It might be a good thing to get Chloe into visiting for about a year or so before trying this also if you were interested. Shiloh & I visited for almost 2 years before we attempted more - mainly because training for it was not offered to us until our local group got involved. Here is a pic of us with a young reader at the library-

Ok - gotta go and watch the rest of the NCAA tourney, watching Kansas & Villanova & Kansas is ahead - Rock Chalk Jayhawks, Go K.U. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/PuppyEyes.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

·
Registered
862 Posts

Best of luck to both of you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif I'm sure you and Chloe will be a great team. Do keep us posted on the outcome!!!

Pat and Boeing

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks everyone... I'm so excited about this.

Kim- I'll check Hudson Valley Humane Society website. We will be taking the class at the ASPCA in NYC (upper east side). It's so reassuring that you said Shiloh relaxes when he's in the patient's room, that was my main concern - Chloe is so hyper when she meets new people and I'm working with her on sitting down patiently when someone approaches her - that's HARD!!! Dogs do have a special sensitivity, they somehow pick up on the fact that someone is weaker and behave appropriately, so I hope she'll be good at that. Most of the other things I'm pretty calm about since she is a very well behaved dog.

Thanks again /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
2,142 Posts

Kudos to you and Chloe, that will be so rewarding for both of you.
Just AWESOME /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts