Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you have a mostly black dog like our, it's an idea for night time, but a little on the way out side in how they did it. I think I'll keep my glow in the dark collars.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think its pretty awesome, and your right it would be super convenient at night. there are tons of glow in the dark animals out there , i believe this same institution has done pigs, cats, and rats. I think its great the way science is advancing this way
plus it doesn't hurt the animal, they just add a virus to the embryo that turns on a specific gene that is usually turned off. no pain or anything like that. Its totally facinating
hehehe prolly just cuz i'm a science major lol

·
Registered
366 Posts
I couldn't even finish the article because all I could think of was Why does anybody, animal or human, need to glow in the dark
I think research dollars could be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How many beagles are suffering in cages all of their lives to make this useless thing possible?....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: Winston's MomI couldn't even finish the article because all I could think of was Why does anybody, animal or human, need to glow in the dark
I think research dollars could be better spent elsewhere.
I absolutely agree. How much money and time has been wasted for this useless research while there are global problems that someone should be working to fix. (hunger, homelessness, bad economy, wars, AIDS, global warming and the list goes on.)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Combining the DNA from 2 different animals is fascinating science. Makes one wonder what the future holds for us. I'd love to time travel and swoop down in 100 years and see what advancements have been made. Humans that live 150 years. Genetic diseases gone. No old age problems. No obesity, no SIDS, no autism.

But it begs the question, are we capable of using the knowledge responsibly? Can we play God?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I read an article about this late last week that explains a lot better the reasoning for those South Korean scientists creating this dog, which is one of several siblings that all fluoresce:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17003-fluorescent-puppy-is-worlds-first-transgenic-dog.html

It seems these dogs have been created as a step toward creating animals that serve as disease models. My former roommate, a neuroscientist, told me that labs can order mice and some other small mammals that have certain things muted out of their genes so that they can be used for researching specific diseases without things from those genes interfering. So with these beagles, scientists endowed them with cells from the sea anemones that produce the protein that fluoresces under ultraviolet light while trying to perfect the technique that would allow them to be bred for the same purpose as those mice. That's what I infer from the article; it's like they didn't want to come out and say it straight out because it's an unpleasant truth, and nobody, it seems, wants to admit that their company is experimenting on animals popularly regarded as pets. Anyone read it a different way?

The article also states that the scientists are probably going to stop what they're doing since going forward with creating dogs with altered genes is expensive, would create intelligent animals that require long-term care in and after life in the lab, and would be unpopular (darn right it is!!).

It's a shame that computer models are not yet sophisticated enough to imitate human life to the extent that experimentation on living creatures was no longer deemed necessary by some scientists. *sigh*

I hope this dog and its siblings have happy lives ahead of them.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Personally, I don't think that's cool at all. I don't like seeing animals experimented in that fashion. That experiment serves no useful purpose for humanity and will probably cause that dog ill effects later in life.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with Brien. I don't think it is cool at all! Who knows what effects it will have on that poor beagle later in life.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My first response was WHAT?
Why do we need glowing beagles?

I don't think it's very cool either...and certainly hope this dog and her siblings are adopted as pets rather than used as lab animals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts