Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a week with our newly adopted 8 week old Beagle, Snickers, we decided that she really is not nearly active enough for our family. I took her to the vet yesterday morning, and he gave me a reality check of what to expect from a dog that is 8 going on 9. We were hoping that her lack of interest in playing with us, being with us in the yard, or really any activity at all, (Except her walks which she loved!) would just be temporary. But she never really had any interst in moving off the couch. However, I think that we have come to terms that although she is a really sweet wonderful dog, she really is not a good fit for a family with two active 8 year old kids who were hoping to have a dog that they could play with. I sooo appreciate all the kind and thoughtful responses from those of you who addressed my concerns about her transition her age and her lack of activity. Her (former) owner doesn't have to leave the county for a few more months, so we are optimistic that she will get placed with a family that is a better fit. We are still looking for a Beagle, preferably age 1-2, (and are in Northwest Washington State) and I plan to keep in touch with this group - as it has been a great resource to me already. I hope everyone understands and doesnt think too badly of me for not keeping Snickers. I really think its the best for her as well as for us. Thanks again for everything.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out. Where did you take Snickers back to? Will she go back to her former owner? Maybe her former owner can figiure out how to take her with her somehow.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We certainly do not think badly of you. It sounds like you have thought through your decision very thoroughly and have decided what to do that is the best interests of your family and Snickers. I am assuming Snickers is going back to her former owner. Please do us a favor -- in the event her owner cannot re-home Snickers, please ask her/him to contact a beagle rescue when ready to leave the country and not just leave Snickers at a shelter. Do keep in touch with us and hugs to Snickers!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I am a volunteer with Seattle Beagle Rescue - not an active one since I'm on the other side of the state - however, I do know that Snickers was placed through Seattle Beagle Rescue and Connie will be working to find her a new home which will be a better fit for Snickers. I would take her myself IF I could afford another dog right now - but things are extremely tight financially for me at the moment, and I simply can't afford the adoption fees - or more vet bills right now. I feel bad because Snickers will be going to another home - she had been adopted by her former owner from SBR, and who knows what life she'd had before. She was extremely bonded with her owner and she probably feels abandoned. She is grieving and needs time to adjust to a new home. My Princess is almost 8 years old, and while she isn't a PUPPY she still has a lot of life and "play" in her, but then she has been here with me since she was 8 weeks old. I do hope Snickers finds a "forever home". She deserves it. I hope that Bonnie finds a more suitable pet for her family.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think that Bonnie thought through her decision very carefully. Snickers will go back to Idaho with her owner today. We will continue trying to place her. My understanding is that the owner leaves in August, and returns briefly in November before the final move to Russia. She has a place for Snickers to stay until November. I agree that Snickers was probably a little depressed and did not have enough time to show her true personality. Another factor is that Snickers currently lives with another dog and I am thinking that she may need to be placed in a home with another dog. Bonnie has talked with many people this week in an attempt to make the right decision and I advised her not to keep Snickers beyond this week unless it felt right for Snickers and for the family. It would be so hard for Snickers to be there a few months and then have everyone realize it isn't right. I think a deciding factor was her vet's advice that Snicker probably has only two healthy years left before she starts to decline. I don't really agree with him but I am not a vet. There are no guarantees on health and longevity for our babies.
Anyway, I hope that we find a great home for Snickers and that we find the best match for Bonnie and her family.
I just want everyone to know that I have been in communication with Bonnie almost daily this week. This has been difficult for her and she is doing what she feels best for all involved. I hope she will continue to be a part of this group and let us know when they find their beagle.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thanks so much for the update and for working so hard on finding just the right home for Snickers! We should provide Goober's story to that vet -- he might change his mind about longevity of beagles and, although my Mags is not healthy, I wouldn't give up her last four years with me for anything!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Connie, I know you'll do your best to find Snickers the perfect home - IF you need me to foster her - I will. Moscow isn't very far from here - and I'm in Pullman every day - which is only 8 miles from Moscow. There are other dogs here to keep her company, including my senior girl, Princess, who will be 8 in August. I know the SBR won't adopt dogs out to owners with intact dogs - so they probably wouldn't let me have her, but I WOULD take her in a heartbeat. I don't agree with the vet either!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sorry to hear about Snickers but we're all behind you Bonnie - it has to be a workable fit and it just doesn't sound like your family is what Snickers needs, or Snickers is what your family needs... and it also sounds like SBR is doing its best to find Snickers the perfect forever home. Snickers sounds a lot like Booker (at any age... when we got her at 3 through to 11 now) and I just can't imagine Booker with two active 8 year old kids - she would drive them crazy and they would drive her crazy and no one would be happy, least of all her. Now our 8 year old Moose is a totally different story... he would probably keep going longer than your children!

We had two "didn't work out" attempts at adopting our third beagle before Popcorn arrived... there were many self-doubts and what-ifs through that process but ultimately you have to do what your heart is telling you is right.

I know she is too far away - but I can't help thinking that a beagle like Daisy the Devil Dog, whose owner is desperately looking for a new home on another thread because her energy level is just TOO high - would be a much better fit for your family...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your understanding and support. We met with Snickers owner today to do the handoff, and although it was hard for all of us, I know we did the right thing. It was relly fun to see Snickers joy at being reunited with her owner and her other dog-friend. I wish the best for them.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Bonnie, I wish all pet owners would be as caring and responsible as you were with Snickers...even though it hurts to give her up, you did it so responsibly and I respect that.
Thank you for caring so much!

Manda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts