Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....that's just a fancy phrase for 'overgrown gums', and we've learned first-hand that several breeds have it. Cal, my honorary beagle, is a mixed breed who seems to have the problem. Boxers are prone to it, my vet says. Anyway, it means Cal has to have gum surgery to cut away the fast growing gum tissue every-so-often. Anyone else experienced this with their honorary beagles?

Cal had his 'gingivectomy' two days ago, and is pretty sore; eating soft foods only, but his sunny disposition is still intact.

He also had his teeth cleaned, but didn't have much tarter and NO bone loss under the gums. Don't forget, February is dental health month!! (I'm a dental hygienist, so I speak for both two-legged and four-legged family members)

Get a check up for good overall health; Gum disease can affect all of our internal organs, especially hearts, kidneys and livers. Diabetics should be especially vigilent with oral health. (Okay, Okay, I'm off my soapbox now :biglaugh: )

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soapbox Update:

Don't forget to brush your dog's teeth! I use a rubber brush fashioned for babies which I wear on my index finger and "massage" their teeth and gums.

You can use a regular toothbrush, a 2x2 gauze square wrapped around an index finger or a thin wash rag will work well also. Some dogs respond well to doggy toothpaste (never use human toothpaste).....but I just use warm water and massage their gums while I watch t.v.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Deb,
You're preaching to the choir in my case. Poor Traveler has had problems with his teeth, but not gingivael hyperplasia. I'm using Oravet on him which seems to slow plaque accumulation somewhat.

Except for Spook, my pack tries to hide when they see me coming with the toothbrush, but I ignore their pathetic looks. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, I brush Chloe's teeth once a week, and she is pretty fine with it since I use a poulty flavored paste.

I personally had a cleaning a week ago - I love it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts