Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am perplexed by Ginger's situation and hope someone else can shed some light as to what's going on with her. She's been diagnosed with arthritis and put on Rimadyl for two weeks. Sime days the Rimadyl helps, others it makes no difference. The problem only occurs when she gets up from lying down when she won't walk on her left front, now sometimes her right rear leg. As soon as I let her in the yard to play... *poof* problem's gone! She runs around and carries on like a puppy. As soon as she comes back in from playing, she's back to hopping around on three legs. Apparently she's not in pain as her tail is going 200 mph most of the time. My vet says that her excitement of going play outside makes her forget about her achy leg. Is there anything I can give her on a daily basis to fend of the arthritis besides Rimadyl?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
My retriever has severe arthritis on his hips, unlike Ginger, he can not take any pain killer, we've try several kind. He vomits everything out including his meal. So the vet suggested to just give him glucosamine, twice a day. I bought those through Dr. Foster & Smith. Marlin seems ok, but still vomits for other reason, he was on antibiotic for his eye surgery, also he has a very soft stomach. I need to feed his meal slowly in order to prevent vomit.
But, that was our vet solution to prevent vomits, glucosamine Joint Care 3 premium(for severe arthritic conditions) hope that will help, different dog has different reaction.

Charlie mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The nature of arthritis is to be more painful and make the body stiffer after resting. Amber would limp when she got up but be OK after she'd been up and moving for a while. We tried Rimadyl but the vet didn't want to make that a "treatment" but more just a helper on bad days. We used a glucosamine/chondroiten (SP??) supplement that I got at the vets office. It was a bit expensive but helped her so it was worth it. They smelled awful. I think they had Shark Cartilege in them too. Like Ginger, Amber would be outside and could run like the wind, but then would be sore afterwards. Do you give her more attention when she limps? I think Amber, my little Drama Queen, learned that she got attention when she limped and did it when she wanted more attention, not just when she was hurting. :smack:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maggie has arthritis in one of her back knees. When it was causing her severe walking limitations, my vet gave her a series of Adequan shots (I believe it was one shot a week for 4 or 5 weeks). The shots were a bit pricey but worked really well and gave her a jump-start on recovery. Then we started her on Cosequin which is a glucosamine/chondroitin combo that I get from the vet (but is also available on-line). She gets one of these every day. Then, when she has a bout of pain/difficulty getting up/walking, I give her Deramaxx (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory), one a day for seven days. Vet gives me Deramaxx to keep in the house and use as needed. Maggie LOVES the Deramaxx -- I think it is liver flavored. She only gets 1/4 of a tablet for a dose and I think she would eat lots more if given the opportunity -- definitely have to keep them way out of reach! Rimadyl can cause liver damage in some dogs so it is not something I have ever tried with Maggie.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Mine are just starting a bit of arthritis. They will limp on a paw here and there. My vet said that dogs respond very well to Glucosomine and Chondrondrine (can't spell)suppliments. I've got them some so we shall see if it helps them. Our vet said they should only have 250 miligrams per day. It was hard to find one with that low of milligrams. But I found it at Pet Smart.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M2B: When this all started I had gotten Ginger some Hartz "joint maintenance" tablets from Wal Mart. They have 250mg Glucosamine, 4.3mg Manganese, and 2.5mg Vitamin E. I stopped the Rimadyl earlier in the week and started her on these tablets. Suggested dosage is one in the morning and one in the evening, and she is doing much better.

I expressed her anal sacs this afternoon and they were very full; she turned into a new dog afterwards running around like nobody's business!

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
I definitely opt for Glucosamin. There are 2 types now, one with sulfa and the other with Chondroit. It appears that the one with chondroit is better absorbed by dogs. The cheapest way to get it is the powder form made for horses. It is the same as the tablets made for dogs and the box does give the proper dosage for dogs as well. Your vet probably carries it.
You amy also ask your Vet if he would not consider giving him also some Metacam, which is a non-steroid anti-inflamatory and analgesic. It is very safe and has no known side effect.
A good way to give a medicine to a dog with a delicate stomach, is to give him 2 to 3 cc of Kaopactate or Peptbismol and then the meds. It usually avoids all problems. Discuss it with your vet and see what he says...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts