Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reading other threads, I realized you came home early from vacation to be with your sweetie Olivia who is in kidney failure!!

Just wanted you to know, you have moved to the top of my prayer list along with Summer and Maggie (and Lil'Girl who goes in for surgery Monday).

Please keep us updated /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Denise, I was so sorry to read about your sweet Olivia. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Our seniors are so precious, and it's so hard when they start to decline. I, too, will add you to my prayers. Seems like the list is kind of long these days. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Oh...Sandy and Deb,

Thank you so much for asking.

We found her 16 years ago, not a puppy but young. She is my little soulmate. I don't remember life without her really.

She has been slowing down, her sight and hearing are slowly failing and her little hips are obviously weak. She has been sleeping alot but loves her treats and runs two houses down to look for her boyfriend Patrick every morning.

The sitter (the best in the world) called us on Thursday concerned because she wasn't interested in eating and seemed lethargic. Drinking alot of water. She fixed her some chicken and rice, which she ate but threw it up almost 24 hours later, practically undigested.

When she called to report that, we made her a vet appt. which the sitter took her to and we started packing to come home.

She is now at the vet, we visited today and will again tomorrow, getting constant fluids. Her kidney levels (BUN, CREATININE) are elevated. When we went to see her she was perky and barking and trying to talk to us. We walked her and she made wee-wee and we got her to eat a bit. She will get the fluids until Monday and have blood work re-drawn. Then she will come home to me.

My friend kept her little dog Sadie alive for 10 months by giving her subcutaneious fluids at home so we have asked the vet if that is a possibility if she is end-stage. If we go with it, it's back to V Tech (Henry's alma mater /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ).

I love all of my dogs but Olivia is a soulmate . It may sound ridiculous to some but it's the only way I can describe it.

Thank you for your prayers...I hope God gives me more time with her.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Denise, I'm getting tearry eyed reading your post. I totally understand the soulmate thing. Amber was special. She was my baby and I loved her to death. But Jersey, she's different. Something very special. The bond we have is totally different. Soulmate seems to be the best way to describe her.

I'm sorry that Olivia isn't well. Did your vet say how elevated her levels were? Amber's were off the charts high. We only got a few weeks from the sub-q fluids treatment. You're friend was lucky to get 10 months! Give Olivia some extra love from me and Jersey. I too, will be praying for you both.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Denise, I am so sorry to hear about Olivia. I hope you get some quality time with her. I know how hard it is.

I will keep you both im my thoughts and prayers.

Julie

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Julie,
Thank you for your prayers. I just came back from seeing Olivia and she still looks better but would not eat for me. She wee-wee'd too...nice and clear.

Jen,
Re: the sub-q fluids at home. I might have to bend your ear further on that if we get to that point. Olivia's BUN was high last December but her creatinine was normal. Now her BUN is high enough that the vet's machine can not read it and her creatinine is 10, which is very high. She and I sat out in the yard at the vets for about an hour. The weather was perfect and we (at least I) could hear alot of birds. I wish I knew what Olivia was thinking during that time. Thanks for your words.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is still very young, but I hope we will have this kind of connection between us. I somtimes feel she knows what's on my mind, when she just sits next to me.
I hope and pray Olivia will have an easier time dealing with this... and you too.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Denise,
I can feel your sadness in every post; thank you for the update this morning....you and Olivia will be in my thoughts all day

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Denise, Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers that you have as much time as you can with Olivia. Bless you both!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Chloe's Mommy,
Just wait, it will happen. And you're right, Chloe probably does know what you are thinking sometimes. Olivia's dedication and awareness of me has always been uncanny. It's like we know what each other is thinking.

Thanks for the prayers and kind thoughts and words, everybody. Tomorrow she comes home and we will hopefully know where we stand.

Hug your babies extra tight, tonight. :heart: :heart:

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Olivia is home. Her numbers are not much improved. She isn't interested in eating. Waiting to hear from VTech to see if they have anything to offer.

Even though she has been with us for 16 years, I'm not ready for this.

Thanks for letting me "vent".

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Denise,
How is Olivia today and how are YOU?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
was thinking about you guys today too......anything new????

Thinking good thoughts ....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I didn't see yesterday's post, Denise, and I'm so sorry that the report wasn't better. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

No, we're never ready to let them go, but have to take comfort in all the joy they give us while we're together. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts