Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been giving Ginger Glucosamine/Chodroitin supplements for a while now for what I thought was arthritis. Even her vet diagnosed her with a touch of arthritis. Lately, though, she has been having a lot of trouble the few times a day she does get out of bed. From all the reading I've done, I'm pretty convinced that she has hip dysplasia. She is VERY reluctant to get out of bed, and she has to make several attempts to stand on her hind legs. Have any of you dealt with this before? Any information is appreciated!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Am wondering if your vet did any x-rays -- if not, it sounds like it is time to go that route. Based on my experience, what you describe sounds like it could be arthritis. If that ends up being the diagnosis, you and your vet should explore other treatment options. There was a thread not too long ago about Adequan shots -- my Maggie got great relief from them. Please be sure to give us updates.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My neighbor's dog (german shepherd) was diagnosed with HD at the age of 5 years. They had x-rays done and he was diagnosed with the worst possible case of HD.
After meeting with an orthopedic surgeon, they chose to have surgery. As far as I know, the dog is doing great now.

Hip Dysplacia actually begins to develop around 5 months of age, that is very typical... most people don't see the signs until a dog is much older, but it all depends on the dog, the severity, etc.

I think you should do x-rays, too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after a good conversation with Ginger's vet of four years, she is still convinced that it is arthritis, sooooo...... We are going to try increasing her glucosamine/chondroitin supplement dosage, exercising at least twice a day, and going on a DIET!! (Ginger is four pounds overweight). I took her for a short walk today, and after a few minutes, she was pulling me along! Time will tell, so hopefully these measures will ger her back up and around more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts