Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone:

I have so many questions to ask everyone, I figured I will start with one for now.

In case you haven't read, I adopted Zoe on Jan 31 and she is now almost a year old. We have done some training with her, all positive reinforcement training, but cannot afford to keep going (temporarily). After finally reading up on beagles, I've decided Zoe is more beagle than whatever else she is mixed with. With that said, she is stubborn. And smart. One of the issues I have with her is getting her to come back inside the house after being let out in the backyard, when I have to either a) go to work,
go to sleep or c) leave the house for any other random reason. Sometimes she is completely willing and runs right in, very excited. Other times, she'll come greet me at the door and stop. She'll stare. She'll wag her tail. She won't come in. At first, I was able to use treats to lure her in. Then, I'd use toys after the treats didn't work. She caught on to that too and I started to sometimes (very rarely) have American cheese. Even THAT doesn't work (and I don't like to do that all the time anyways, so I don't use it anymore) now. So, I just wait her out sometimes. The problem is, I'll close the door on her while she's standing there and she looks all sad. If I don't close the door, bugs start getting into the house, etc. (At least it's now warm, because during the winter I would stand there freezing my tail off!).

Does anyone have any other suggestions!?!?!??! Hahahah. It's not a huge deal, but i'd like to learn any tricks if there are any.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Beautiful picture.
She is smart! In the morning we send our two into the garden before breakfast. They soon learnt that one and do all they have to and come running back in.
Zoe has to learn to come to you whether she wants to or not. Start training her when you aren't going to leave her. Call her and make her sit, over and over again. You could do it using treats or just praise. Then occasionally use it to call her in, without locking her in. Gradually she will come on call.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's not easy - especially when they know that coming to you means yard time is over...

I would start from scratch on Recall training. Either outside or in the house, have her on her leash. Using a high value treat like cheese or a liver treat, give the command Zoe come or whatever you use. If she doesn't come, use the leash to guide her towards you. Hold the treat in front of you so she's coming right at you. Repeat that until she's coming without you tugging on the leash. Once you're comfortable with that, drop the leash and continue to practice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Beagles we have are easy. Charlie comes running right to you as soon as you open the door. Josie, I just whistle and she comes. The pekingese we had as kids were tough. Usually kept liverwurst in the house solely for the dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Zoe is very pretty and distinguished looking. Her coloring is very lush.

Sadie doesn't like to come in if she doesn't want to. I can call and call her and she will just stand or sit and look at me. If I go out to get her, she will run and it is a fun game for her. Usually if we just shut the door, she will come on up to the door to come in after a few minutes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well if you think about it from her perspective why would she want to come in? She's learned that coming in means that either you're leaving, she's going in her crate or she's going to bed. All of these = the fun being over. You have to make her think that coming to you is much more fun than being outside and make her think that coming to you doesn't always mean that playtime is over. I would use reeeeeally high value treats... meat, cheese, hot dog or something else she loves. Open the door, get down to her level, open your arms and call her in a really excited voice. When she comes praise her lots and give her lots of treats. I would also try doing it sometimes when she doesn't have to stay inside. Call her to you, give her treats and then let her back out. You can even throw a less enticing treat out there in the yard while you still have the high value treats. She may run out to get it but then will be eager to come get the better treat from you! You won't have to give her treats forever. Once you feel like she's coming fairly reliably you can start doing random treats. I've actually read that dogs do better with random treats than they do if they know that treats are always coming or never coming.

As someone else mentioned you may kind of have to reset her and teach her to come elsewhere before you try doing it at the backyard again. (Sorry for the long post)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wow, she reminds me so much of Henry! He's a beagle/german shepherd mix. Everyone seems to have good suggestions...Henry went through a similar phase and weather permitting, I used to leave him outside. He hates being left when he thinks something's going on. Pretty soon he figured out that he could either come in when I called him, or stay outside for an indefinite (and sometimes slightly uncomfortable) period of time. Now he comes in reliably.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I can't offer any suggestions but I just wanted to comment on how adorable that picture is! I love Zoe's coloring!

·
Registered
127 Posts
We don't have a fenced yard so we keep Snoopy on a 30' lead. She loves to sun bathe. She often refuses to come in but I have the advantage of her being restrained on a lead (vs. free roam in the yard). But, as you said, beagles are smart. Now she rolls over and goes totally limp when she doesn't want to come in. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.