Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you have gone through the process of introducing a second Beagle to your home! I need your expertise!!!! I would love to hear your experiences. What problems did you encounter? Would you do anything differently?

Toby is 7 and usually loves it when other dogs come to the house, but of course none of them have ever stayed! I think he will be happy to have a buddy, but I know it doesn't always start out that way. Any advice you have to help them bond is much appreciated.

Here is a picture of our new addition, Lucky. This was taken when we went to meet him last Saturday - looking so serious!! He will be at home wih us next month and we can't wait!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I can't give any advice, but just wanted to say that Lucky is gorgeous!!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif

I just can't understand how these amazing creatures end up in kennels.... Thank god you're taking this one home!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awwww...thank you! I think he is pretty cute, but of course, I am bias!!!! He didn't end up in a kennel, though. I ended up going a little different route than most for getting my Beagles! When I got Toby I had contacted his breeder, who shows Beagles, about buying a puppy that wasn't show quality. I thought my heart was set on a puppy, then I met Toby, who was 9 months at the time. He was a dog that started out being shown but turned out not to be quite perfect enough for the show ring. Or, as I say, "gave up fame and all that comes with it, to be part of our family!" Well, Lucky is the exact same thing except he is a bit older at 1 year old.

I enjoy telling people how I got my Beagles because it's a route not enough people know about. Both of mine were crate and leash trained, which is so nice if you don't mind giving up the adorable puppy stage! My only complaint is that I don't get to pick the name!!! LOL!!

Of course, choosing a rescue is one of the most wonderful things a person can do, but if it's not the right fit for someone this is another great way to acquire an adult Beagle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey.
Again i am a beagle noobie so i can't offer any advice. But i hope that everything goes really well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
p.s. Lucky is awesome.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Double the fun...2 beags.
I've had the priviledge of owning 8 beagles in my life,the best way I've experienced introducing them is to get them on neutral ground...a park, the front yard, the street.
Just take Toby out to meet Lucky, then pay speical attention to Toby, like once introduced, make sure you always feed Toby first, and give lot of loving, and let nature take it's course.
Good luck, I'm sure they will love each other...after all beags are the friendliest dogs!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have to agree, Lucky is a beautiful dog! Have to ask, does he have "Ladmar" in his line anyplace? He has the look of several Ladmar dogs I've met (and one I own). My Lottie was a "kennel dog" - until I adopted her - and she's now a spoiled brat just like the other nine!

I have brought several "adult" beagles into the pack, with pretty good success. I kept them separated until after the "new kid" gets a visit with our vet - and then usually introduce them "one at a time". The first time a new dog gets outside with the whole pack, there's a lot of "sniffing" going on - but really I haven't had any problems. Beagles are basically "pack animals" and do really well with other beagles.

·
Registered
443 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winkingsmiley.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winkingsmiley.gif A lot of what I have read/heard, agrees with <span style="color: #FF0000">7beaglelady</span> having Toby & Lucky on neutral ground when they first meet, such as a park, is the ideal location. Also Toby needs to know that he is still #1 dog in your family - he gets a little more attention, a little more loving, Toby should be fed first - the first to get treats and when you let them outside - Toby goes first. When I brought Shiloh home - I still had my Oreo (YorkiPoo). Shiloh was just 8 weeks old and smaller than Oreo so there wasn't much of a problem - Oreo was more curious than anything else. When I brought Shasta home - she too was only 8 weeks old and both Shiloh & Oreo were taller and mainly curious. Oreo has since gone to the Bridge & now I have my two Beags - they are both grown, Shiloh is almost 5 & every once in awhile reminds Shasta that he is head honcho dog with a bit of a growl & a little nip - but they really are best buds now, play alot together & chase each other around the yard - just like Oreo & Shiloh were when Shiloh was the little kid of the house.

By the way, Lucky is one handsome young man.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Wow, what a cutie!! I would say to introduce them in a park somewhere, on neutral gound, not in your home. That way, no one owns the territory and no one gets defensive. Good luck!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would introduce them with no leashes in an enclosed area. Pulling at the leash to sniff each other while dragging the human often creates unecessary tension. Beagles are pretty friendly dogs, so I wouldn't worry about any agression. Lucky looks like he's used to being around other dogs, so I'm sure he'll be fine. Just stay calm and relaxed when they meet each other, and let the noses do the talking!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neutral ground it is!! Sounds like that is the consensus! Taking them off their leashes sounds like a good idea, too. Toby is always happier when off leash and hopefully the first thing they will do is have a good play together, which should make Toby happier about him staying!

I agree, I don' think Lucky will have any problems. It is more Toby I am worried about. Having been an only child...LOL!!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
One of the things I usually do with any new dog - in addition to introducing them "one at a time in person" - is to put the new "kid" in the side yard for a while - there is a chain link fence and they can get acquainted through the fence before they're inroduced into the pack. With as many dogs as I have there is no way I can take them to "neutral territory". When they finally all get together I stay in the yard with them to make sure they're oaky - but so far there has never been a problem with any of the adults I've introduced to the pack. There's a lot of "sniffing" going on - but they eventually all get along fine! The one problem I have HERE is with my daughter's beagle - she lives here with me, and her "Buster" was an "only" child for several years. When I let all the kids out for their "bathroom breaks" Buster will stand in front of the door and snap at my two older males Romeo and Tanna. He doesn't do it with the younger males (Joe and Jack) - I think because he spends a lot of time with them in the family room. He doesn't LIKE being part of a pack, but since he lives here, he has to follow the "rules" - mean "grandma" that I am!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Congratulations on getting the second beagle!! When I brought Casey into our lives I introduced her on neutral territory. That way Hunter didn't get stressed. When she came into the house I only allowed her 1 room to explore so that Hunter didn't think she was invading the house. The main thing is to let them know right away that you are in charge. If they are unsure who the boss is they may fight for dominance. There was some resistance at first from Hunter but Casey loved her from day one and it didn't take long for Hunter to realize that Casey was her partner in crime and they are the best of friends. I tried to be fair and equal in playing and giving attention, so neither would feel left out. If I was with one my hubby would be with the other or we all played together. Hope this helps and you will get so much joy out of the 2 of them!! I was amazed at how different their personalities are.Have fun and show tons of pictures.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Advice???

Yeah... Just take it as it comes... (1)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif (2)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thsmiley_fistshake.gif (3)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif (4)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/greendevil.gif (5) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif ... (repeat)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I completely agree with everyone else - first meeting on neutral ground and off leash if possible, and hopefully they will have a good play and get used to each other before they have to go home together. We also try to make sure when a new arrival comes to give the other(s) some extra special one-on-one attention too - a few nice long walks for Toby without Lucky would probably make him realize that his world hasn't been completely turned upside down by the new arrival!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lucky is SOOOOOOOOO cute!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gif Just be very understanding and have a lot of patience!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts