Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe my 2 wild heathen Beagle babies are getting old. Sadie and Pooh are 9 now. Both pretty good health still. Sadie has been limping around a bit on a front leg for about 2 weeks. I've been giving her her anti-inflammatory med half heartedly, not really sure if I should be giving it to her for this. I took her to the vet yesterday for a nail trim and had them check her out. They pulled both her legs every which way. No yelping and no signs of pain. Checked her neck and took her for a walk around the clinic. Of course she didn't limp there. They think it is arthritis. It is worse when she first wakes up. She seems stiff. Poor baby, she had a bad disk in her back a few years ago that got better and had mild hip displasia. So we are to take Rimadly twice a day for a while. She takes Cosequin, which has Glucosomine in it already.

It is hard to watch our babies grow older. Our 2 were the wildest, naughtiest puppies.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I know what you mean. It's impossible for me to believe that Li'l Girl is 10 already. She's still out hunting squirrels and chipmunks most of the day, though.
Hopefully, she'll continue to do so for years to come.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I definitely know what you mean. I was looking at Moose this morning when we were out on our walk and his face is just soooo gray - when did my handsome cover boy get old?! He still acts like a puppy with ADD, though...

And then a friend of mine is going through tests today with her 6 year old German Shepherd who suddenly got bloated and they think it might be cancer - the best diagnosis is probably congestive heart failure. That really makes me want to go home now and hug all my hounds because we really just don't know what lies around the corner.

I do hope Sadie feels better soon...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Our Bazel is 11 he will be 12 in June, the time has gone fast. He is still very active. He is soon to get a puppy companion, that should be interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is not quite 3, but I already see the sides of her face starting to turn white. I do enjoy every minute I have with her.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The last time I was home visiting my family, I saw that my grandma's beagle/basset mix Bullwinkle has finally started to show his age (he's 10 or 11 now) with a lot of white creeping into his face, his gait slowed, his haunches heavy. Sweet, steady boy. He still stands up on his back feet for treats, like he did when he was young, before lying back down with a bit of a groan. I told my grandma if it ever happened that they could no longer care for her dogs, I would take Bullwinkle. He and Spock would get along famously, I suspect, and he'd spend all day snoring on my bed.

I know or am acquainted with 3 people who lost their dogs this past weekend
and then, I had a really horrible nightmare about losing Spock on Sunday morning; both my puppies have been getting extra cuddles all week.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadie is more active and hyper than Pooh Bear. She got on a scent trail one morning this week in the back yard and ran and barked like a little wild heathen. Pooh Bear has always been more laid back. They both still go crazy barking at anything that they see out the front window.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Snoopy will be 9 in April, Susi 9 in October. Knowing Snoopy has heart trouble makes us watch him more, the slightest cough and we panic. Then we see him racing round the garden and realise he is still a youngster at heart!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't realize Snoopy and Susi were around our doggies ages.

I panick if one of mine pants a lot. Our first beloved Beagle, who is now crossed the bridge, Sam had heart trouble and panted a lot. So it worries me when they pant a lot. So far Sadie and Pooh's hearts are doing fine. I just adore them and I do enjoy all the time we have with them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It is so hard to see our babies age. Not the aging itself, I love the look of seniors and their regal disposition. It's just that's when we realize how short our time is with them.

We were so lucky to have 2 labs live to 13 (with Cassie still going strong). I hope and pray that my beagles surpass that number. But we do enjoy every second of them (well, except when they are being particularly naughty). They are our kids.

I think your senior beagles all are gorgeous and seniors are so special because they are more calm and they know the routine and they can read your expressions and emotions and you can read theirs. Cheers to all the special seniors!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts