Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I was searching online and found this nifty site. I wanted to join to seek guidance because I've faced so much negativity in my choice in getting a beagle; so loud! so destructive! impossible to house train! you're gonna regret it! and just need some words of encouragement and tips for me new friend.

I decided to get a second dog to get my other dog (rough collie GSD mix) a playmate. After visiting countless pups for sale the only one that struck a cord was a 6 month old female beagle so I'm taking the plunge and picking her up Monday. We're naming her Twopenny "Penny".

What's your experience with the breed? I'm hoping with walks and plays with my other dog she wont be such a handful - any tips are welcome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Our Maggie is Four, brought her home at 8 weeks or so. We crate trained her and being retired we were able to help her establish a potty routine by taking her outside. Of course a few accidents inside along the way. She is a very independent girl when she wants to be. We tried numerous collars and halters before we found one she couldn’t escape from. Our rear yard is fenced and we had to puppy proof a small pond and our compost area.
She has separation anxiety at times and is a very ornery but loving dog. She doesn’t do well riding in a vehicle, so those rides tend to be limited to the vet or daycare and boarding.
She has a definite morning and nighttime routine like an alarm clock. Her nose rules what she wants to do an off lease in backyard is OK but off lease in front would be a disaster. We have squirrels, opossums, feral cats and rabbits to keep her scent chase skills active.
We also have Dachshund that is three so they have grown up together and are best buds. The can have typical sister interactions at times, both pick on each other.

They are both still puppies at times. Oh in closing the Beagle sheds hair like crazy but wouldn’t want give them up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well, anything goes, good or bad.
I believe you will be spending lots of time with puppy, so why not make it POSITIVE time. If you don't you are still spending the time cleaning, correcting, repairing, etc. If you train, it will be MUCH better.

I figure out how much food my pup needs per day. Split that in 3 if under 6 months. Then split each meal in two. First half she has to wait for it for 8-20 sec. Second half I spend training her. So each day they get 3 training sessions. Everything is earned, everything is praised and rewarded.

we have 2 beagles and i never knew a dog could be so lovable! The pup at 4 months can sit, wait 8-30 seconds, down, gives paw, gives kisses, and can take turns with her sibling.

Oh and the ring the bells if they want to go out! I would hold one kibble by the bell, and she would accidentally ring it going for the kibble. Saying ring the bell also. After about 50 attempts, she got the hand of it. That was one session, but the third session, next day, she figured it out. Well she knew ringing the bells would get her a kibble. So after that we would say "ring the bells, to go pee pee" and immediately take her out.

The other thing we do is never let them play outside, until they learn this is where they go potty. They are crated at night, until they are reliable to be left uncrated between 6 months to 2 years. All depends. I also put bells on the puppy, so i can hear her. We also leave a light leash on her during the day, so whatever room we go, she goes.

I heard the dog on Frazier, was fostered by different homes, and no one would keep him, until the last owner. And now he's a star! So don't let people tell you it's going to be bad. I will tell you untrained, unloved, and unsupervised pups WILL get into trouble! But you would leave a toddler alone, so why do people leave pups alone?

TRAIN, REPETITION, TIME, LOVE, TRAIN, REPETITION, TIME, LOVE, you won't regret it!

i put the pup on youtube, beagle jemma, she's only 4 months old.

You can do this!

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
I have had beagles for years. They are trainable, adorable, funny, sometimes frustrating (like right when Molly has been growling and barking for hours).. If they get attention, exercise and training they make excellent pets. Most are good watch dogs too, very in tune with neighborhood noises.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have owned a few beagles over the years, but my current beag, Beatrice, was the first I have had since she was a puppy. It has been a fun experience raising her! Beagles are rascals...you'll figure that out soon enough...but they are awesome, awesome friends. Sometimes a better friend than dog lol.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Not knowing your home/yard situation I strongly suggest you limit the freedom in your house. Too much freedom and mischief can ensue. Incremental freedom has to be earned. Watch your belongings because what's precious to you is a toy for a dog. Hopefully you have a fully fenced area outside...beagles are NOT off-leash dogs. They follow their nose and could escape, get stolen if loose, or injured. I fenced an area within my fully fenced yard for cassie to play.
A clicker is a great training tool found at a petstore. There are YouTube videos on how to use one. Oh and by the way... it takes about 3 years for beagles to calm down. Cant wait to see pictures!
Cassie says Hi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

I got my first beagle pup, Marilyn, a lemon beagle, two weeks ago. On Tuesday, she will be 10 weeks old. I, too, heard the same things that you did, but she was so adorable, I couldn't say no.

I am two weeks ahead of you, it seems, so I'll tell you a few things from one novice beagle owner to another:

-- Marilyn is SO lovey...she is cuddly...she is snuggly. She is a happy, healthy, perfect puppy.
-- Marilyn is whiney...she whines and whines and whines...when I am not in the same room as her...and then bays...and then howls. Yes, it's loud. She has not yet had a "bark."
-- At 10 weeks, she is about 50/50 with the bathroom. She has full access to my office, limited access to my living room. Both have puppy pads, plus I take her our during the day every 1-2 hours. (I work from home). She is now about 70% accuracy with the puppy pads, and she goes potty when I take her out. I just found a puddle right before I started typing this, though, so she still has a way to go. My vet told me to not get serious about potty training til 10-12 weeks, because their bladders natually can't "hold" it until between those weeks.
--These dogs are smarter than me, ha ha. Marilyn has climbed over a baby gate more than once, and she has figured out how to let herself out of her Precision brand metal crate. She also is sitting on command 95% of the time, and she knows the "come" command, though again, I would say she's about 70% at this point.
-- She LOVES to eat...she is totally motivated by food. I cut those tiny training treats into quarters, and I spend only about 10 minutes a night with her doing "training."
-- She communicates with her whines.
-- After two weeks, I have fallen in love with this breed, even though I was pretty against beagles because I heard all of the "negatives." I am a proud beagle owner now, and I hope, so much, that you have the same experience that I have had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I am so anxious with this new dog. She is unbelievably cute. But she whines and whines. I am not sure if it's a her thing or a beagle thing or just her unsure of life right now.

She's taking some time to warm up to our rough collie gsd mix - occasionally she nips at her with a shrill bark or screams.

Doing good about going outside so far! Bays when in the kennel however...

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
Beagles can be very vocal in many ways. My Molly cries when she is happy, whimpers when nervous, growls a lot. They are very pack/family oriented so she could still be confused and wondering about her past family. It takes a good 6 months for them to really settle into a new home.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Look at her!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there! I was searching online and found this nifty site. I wanted to join to seek guidance because I've faced so much negativity in my choice in getting a beagle; so loud! so destructive! impossible to house train! you're gonna regret it! and just need some words of encouragement and tips for me new friend.

I decided to get a second dog to get my other dog (rough collie GSD mix) a playmate. After visiting countless pups for sale the only one that struck a cord was a 6 month old female beagle so I'm taking the plunge and picking her up Monday. We're naming her Twopenny "Penny".

What's your experience with the breed? I'm hoping with walks and plays with my other dog she wont be such a handful - any tips are welcome. View attachment 41492

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beagles are pack dogs, they don't like to be alone. My son has a beagle and when he was trying to housebreak the puppy and complained on how long it was taking, I reminded him that when he was a baby it took two years to housebreak him. The puppy will get it quicker then you think.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
It takes a great deal of patience and constant training. I suggest using a clicker as a cheap training tool. Look at YouTube videos on how to use one. It took 10 months for my dog to be fully reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it a common beagle thing for them to not trust or like new people? Whenever Penny meets new people she growls, barks, or acts extremely shifty (she's never attacked or bitten). Takes a long time for her to warm up to anybody but I and my fiance.

Also when walking does anyone else's beagle scream/squawk/bay at people or dogs so much so it sounds like you're murdering the poor dog?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts