Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our 2 year old make beagle (Cyrus) from a local animal shelter over a month ago. Not too sure if he had been crate trained previously as he was found as a stray roaming around a grocery store. I work from home 4 days a week so he is only alone on Tuesdays for no more then 6 hours. However, we have been crate training him during the day when I am home.

With that said, I have tried everything I can think of to get him trained so he won't defecate around our house. Usually he does well with not urinating though he has the occasional slip up when he gets excited or something to that nature. However, we could take him outside and he will do his business, we praise him when he does.. let him enjoy a little bit of play time after he does as a reward, followed by a treat when he comes in. Soon after he will then defecate right in front of us and then run under a table. Sometimes he will then defecate in his crate which will be all over his bedding, the walls, the carpet, and himself. Originally we thought it was our cats taunting him so we removed them from him. He doesn't cry or make a noise prior to doing it, it just happens. Its getting to the point where we can't leave him along as we will return to him being covered in his own waste.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I am growing frustrated as the days continue on. I am thinking about owning stock Tide and a dog shampoo company.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A month is too soon to worry too much. Cyrus probably has a lot of baggage (bad memories). Keep up the training. Take him out every hour and every time he does his poo outside, praise him. When he does it inside, dont make a huge fuss about it. If you think he is going to poo after having done it outside, then take him out straight away again.
The problem is only part of a large problem. Cyrus has had a bad start in life and must now learn. Give him a chance to settle in and then keep to a strict regime.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Make sure he poops outside in the am. Keep him out there until he does. Ours stay out until they do both in the mornings. I know they have to poo because ... well, everyone does in the AM. After work, ours go out every 1-1/2 to 2 hours. If, by 10pm, they have not poo'd, they will stay out until they do.

On the weekends we take them out every 1-1/2 to 2 hours as well. Use to be every hour, but we are slowly crawling up in time. Josie is fine and 99% of the time will NOT go inside. Charlie not so much. It gets frustrating, I was ready to give up on Josie before we got Charlie and one day it was like magic. She just got it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know.. Just venting in a sense and figure out if I am doing the right thing. Giving up on him is not an option but he is giving me a run for my money. I just wish there was a way to tell if he was going to go. From me observing, there is not one sign. He'll be laying there for a few minutes and boom, there is the bathroom break.

Thanks for the encouragement. He is my wild stallion that I am going to break of bad habits. LOL

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have you started any obedience training with him? It's a great way to build his confidence and solidify your relationship with him. As a stray for who knows how long there weren't any boundaries set about what was acceptable behavior.

Do you feed in the crate? Typically dogs don't want to poop where they eat! As for signs - I didn't see them at first and then they were obvious. he goes first thing in the morning and 30 minutes after he eats. My guy starts arching his back as a sign...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We do feed him in the crate. It was one of the ways on how we got him into the crate to begin with. This last time, he decided to relieve himself in his food bowl. Well, not directly but it was in his food, water and basically everywhere.

Obedience training was something that has crossed my mind and may be one of my options as of lately. I'll have to check with my Vet to see if he knows of any good ones in my area.

I wish our Cyrus was on a schedule. Sometimes he won't go until 11AM (I take him out at 6am). Sometimes he goes right away. He is a tough one to interpret. LOL.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Do you leave food in Cyrus' bowl all the time, or do you feed him at specific times of day? If you haven't tried that, maybe getting him on a schedule could help better regulate when his body needs to eliminate. What kind of food is he eating? And as others have said, don't give up hope, and thank you for rescuing him

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just some house training tips that I did with my rescue Beagle.

I tied a bell on my door and rang it everytime we went out to go to the bathroom and said yets go potty. Pretty soon they figure out that if they have to go to the bathroom all they have to do is go to the door and ring the bell. It took my beagle about a week to figure that out.

Another thing that I did when I first got my Beagle was after he ate he had to stay in the kitchen (where we feed him) for 10 min and then we went outside to go potty. If he went I gave him lots of praise and he was able to leave the kitchen. If he didn't then we stayed in the kitcken another 10 min and so on and so on till he went the bathroom. This is a good way to figure out your dog's signs for when he has to go to the bathroom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts