Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think my new little guy Chopper must have picked on someone bigger than him today because his face is pretty scratched up and he is limping. When I pick him up he cries out, but I dont see or feel any bony abnormalities in his hips or back legs where he seems to hurt the most.
I am hoping it is just a muscle strain, and I am keeping a close eye on him overnight.

My question to beagle world however is what can I give him OTC (over the counter) to help him out with his pain right now. I think unfortunately all I have is people tylenol, but I am looking around. I have Tramadol and generic Robaxin for muscle pains for me is all. I looked it up some online and it said to use NSAIDS, which I am not allowed to use due to my gastric bypass so I dont keep much around /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Whats a beagle mom to do? I dont think its urgent enough to call in a ER vet or anything, I just want to help the poor little guys pain

Judi

Also-feel free to msg me on yahoo too!!
Mistress_Xtra on yahoo-thanks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
650 Posts
Judi, I would definitely get him medical attention asap! If anything to get him checked out for any internal injuries, etc. You should be able to call the ER vet for advice on meds you can give him. Hope everything's better in the morning!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope all is well now? It is always a good idea to visit the vet. Could he have jumped off something? Any cats in your area? Can he get out of your garden?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Do not give him ANY OTC pain killers for people, especially Tylenol. Many are poisonous to dogs. The only thing that is safe is 1/2 a Bayer childens aspirin (it must be aspirin - low dose). Otherwise, when in doubt, call your vet or the ER.

Hopefully he is doing better.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took him to the vet today. Did give him just one aspirin last night.

Turns out they think he got hit by a car. His pelvis is broke. Didnt do x rays, but when the vet put her hand in his rectum and pushed on his pelvic bone thats when he started crying, but otherwise would let her do movements on his legs.

Just 6 wks of cage rest and healing. Got some Rimadyl I think for pain relief for a few days. Poor little guy. Well, he got his rabies and his worming today so now he is ours. now he just needs to heal

Judi

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Feel better soon Chopper ..... and stay away from those darned old cars ......

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Billm715:
How did he get hit by a car without anybody knowing about it?
Honestly I dont know. We live in a small town of about 200 ppl I believe. A lot of dogs run during the day. This is a stray that showed up at our house about a month ago during the sub-zero time in Iowa that I let in finally when I realized he had no collar on, no one answered the signs around town, and his ribs were showing thru.

Lets just say its a town of "nobody knows, nobody cares" kind of place as far as I am concerned.

Well, we did learn our lesson though, some how, someway those little stinkers are going to be penned up or tied up during the day if they are outside while we are at work. !!!

Judi (boy this Rimadyl stuff really knocked him out, though he is moving around better when he is awake!)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Judi, Thanks so much for taking care of Chopper after he wandered into your life a few weeks ago. If you decide that you would like to find him a new home, please post so that we can spread the word! Hope he gets well soon! Matt.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I hope Chopper is feeling better today. When my last dog was having a bad arthritis day I called the vet & he said to give him 1/2 a Buffrin per day. I bought him his own bottle & wrote the instructions on the lid. I still have it just in case.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Judi, now I understand. My last Beagle was a stray that was a part of my life for 2 years and I could never touch her although she would live in my house in the winter months. She was very skittish around anyone but she idolized me for some reason. She was hit by a car one day and was in bad shape. I had to put her down as there is no veterinarian within 50 miles and she was suffering. It kills me to see people let their dogs run around near a road. That is the the reason for the blunt question.....sorry.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No problem Bill-sometimes its hard to explain to people that don't live in rural areas how things go-and I thought I had seen rural,then I moved to south-east Iowa/north east Missouri
Area is full of Amish and poor, thats it.

Anyhow-he seems better. He was running around some in the house and it was getting to be time for his pill-and one of the other dogs bumped him-- yikes!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif he was yelping! no fun. so he took the pill and now he is sleeping like a baby

Thanks for all the well wishes-will take it easy here-one day at a time!
Judi and the gang

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know how I missed this one yesterday! I'm glad to hear that Chopper is doing better. No more wandering for him! Easy on the playing Mr. Chopper...rest and relax until you're all healed up! Belly rubs and well wishes going out to you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts