Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 3 year old beagle Sadie has gotten much less active in the past year. Last april, she got a hernia that had to be surgically removed and she couldn't walk for a few weeks. Then in November her anal gland ruptured and she had surgery to fix it, which made running difficult again for her. She's all healed up now, and our vet says she is medically fine. Now she's just lazy, and even at the dog park she just stands around. Any ideas how to get her active again and playing with us?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Coco is sort of lazy when it comes to playing. I usually use treats and make him jump or run around in the yard for them or I chase him around pretending to grab his tail. I tried to get him to play with balls or with other dogs and he just doesn't.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Wonder if she doesn't feel well? Anything hurting her or bothering her? Will she walk if you take her for a walk on a leash? When ours were 3 they were still pretty hyper and active. But with her surgery and other problems, she may be being more careful so she doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She will walk and play once we get her going- it's just difficult to start the ball rolling! We walk her daily, but have started taking her to a local walking path to get her some new scents and trails which she likes! I just wish she was more playful, she's my first dog (I have crossed over from the cats-only side) and I just want to be sure I am giving her a good happy home.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Some dogs just aren't all that playful - if Sadie has been checked out and she is physically okay she just may be maturing into a more laid back personality. Our eldest Booker sounds a lot like Sadie - when we are at the dog park she usually just stands at the edge of it and arrroooos when each new dog arrives... but that is about the extent of her involvement with the other dogs (although she LOVES rolling on her back in the grass).

We did originally adopt our second beagle Moose with the idea that a younger active dog would get Booker to play (Booker was about 4 then and Moose was 1). They became fast friends but I can probably count on one hand the number of times they have actually ever played together in the 7 years we have had them both.

·
Registered
350 Posts
clyde is only 1 and very hard to engage in 'PLAY' as i would call it. he wont fetch or chase a ball, he will chase me if i run but i get tired quick. but put him on a rabbit trail and LOOK OUT! he is electrified.
not sure if you have access to some open areas where rabbits roam, but if you get her out there a few times and she starts tracking, then you can 'play' with her at home with a stuffed rabbit and SCENT and she will likely be VERY interested. almost extpect you to play with her!! (thats how clyde is) i can read his mind
me- walk into clyde's view
Clyde- oh, we gonna go after rabbits? huh? are we?
repeat.........

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie's play is in spurts. She plays really hard for fifteen minutes and then just stops. I never know when she will decide to race to the toy box for a toy. She brings it to me to throw or runs around growling and shaking it and then she is done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I feel better now. I guess it's more a beagle thing- Sadie's best friend is a lab/whippet mix is crazy playful. I was worried we were doing something wrong- but I guess each breed is truly different. Although she does play non-stop with her best friend, they were kept together at the shelter and my best friend went back to adopt Sadie's buddy, so they are still together three years later!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Rocky isn't really that playful unless food is involved.
And sometimes he'll get excited over a new toy. But overall he's really laid back and just likes to hang out.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two never had a chance to play as young dogs, being stuck in research for 6 years. Susi still has no 'play' in her, which is a pity as Snoopy trys to get her to play. He wont play with us though. They are happy , and adore going for walks, so they get plenty of those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts