Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a right time in a young dog's life when you can successfully introduce another dog into their life and have them accept the newcomer with reasonable joy? I realize every dog is different but having a dog with an accepting personality seems they'd be accepting of a new friend.

I've kicked around the idea of rescuing and older beagle as a friend for Rio some day so I'd like to know from those who have done this already.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
In my own experience, it has worked wonders. Calvin was 5-6 yrs old when I rescued him on Christmas Eve one year. Only three weeks later, Maggie came to live with us; she was approx 6 weeks old at the time. Both were rescues.

Although Maggie is much younger and smaller, she rules the roost, and Cal is happy to let her. They are inseparable.

Finding a dog of the opposite sex has always worked best for our family.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer was ecstatic when we brought Sydney home, he was delighted to have a friend!! All I say is to introduce them on neutral ground at a park somewhere so that they don't get dominant of their space. Other than that if they get along, totally go for it. I will never be without 2 dogs again.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Since I can remember, we have always had adult dogs who were rescues that would be brought into the house where the other dog or dogs were previos rescues. And there have been temporary foster dogs that have come and go over the years. We've never had a problem.

My suggestion would be to look for a companion for Rio from a rescue. Rescues often have a history on the dog and can give you ideas of the dog's personality and if they are good with other dogs or cats or kids...etc.

Once you decide on a possible rescue dog, let Rio meet her/him first. See how they like each other. You can even request a trial basis. I suggest coordinating your adoption when you have a few days off and can stay around to monitor the situation.

Another good thing about Rescue organzitions is that if things do not work out between the new dog and Rio, they will almost always want you to return the animal to them. So you don't have to worry about what to do with the poor thing. Ask about their policy on this.

And like Deb said, opposite sex's work out well together. Just be sure that both dogs are fixed.

And one more word of advice...consider a mixed breed rescue. Don't narrow your choices down by focusing on a certain breed of dog. Mutts are great, too!

Hope this helps.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Rio Girl:
Is there a right time in a young dog's life when you can successfully introduce another dog into their life ...
Roc -- Not only does it have to be the right time in a dog's life, it has to be the right time in the owner's life. Although there are many, many positives and a great deal of joy with having two pups growing up together (my previous dogs lived together for 14 years and loved every minute of it), please take into consideration that two dogs means twice as much work, twice as much expense, etc. for the owner. From other posts, you seem a bit frustrated with Rio's behaviors -- having two dogs does not mean that they take care of each other. You will have to have twice as much patience and, if you are considering another beagle, tons more patience! Just my two cents -- take what you like & leave the rest ...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We have 4 dogs. One we bought as a small puppy, one we adopted when he was 9 weeks old, my Li'l Girl, who was a year or so old when we adopted her, and the youngest, Spook, who adopted us when he was 4 months old.

We've never had significant problems introducing another dog into the pack, but there were tiffs as they worked out the social order.

Now to Judy's point. We're able to afford the care for the 4 we have or we wouldn't have that many. That said, we wouldn't take on another because we want to be able to provide for whatever might happen. So, finances are a big consideration.

Also, it's more confining to have more than one dog. Arrangements have to be made when you want to be away from home. We're fortunate to have a good petsitter, but that doesn't come cheap either. So, that's something else to consider.

If you feel comfortable about getting another after those considerations, go for it. I do think that our pack is happy together.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Up until our present two we have kept beagles one at a time. I cant imagine that in the future. Our two love one another so much, they cuddle together and hate to be separated. Our biggest fear now is, what if one dies. Dont get another dog too old for him or her to have a long life with Rio.
As others have pointed out, two dogs might help the loneliness factor it doesnt mean less work for you. Both dogs will want your attention and the costs will also be double.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Everyone needs a friend, don't they?

Our second dog, a non Beagle, has been very good for our resident Beagle, Vinny. They play, sleep together. They keep each other company. I have noticed a behavior change in Vinny, for the good.

However as Judy has stated, two dogs does equal twice the expense in terms of food, vet visits, boarding etc. Twice as much shedding, going in and outside, walking will become a planned event.

It also means twice as much love for the owner to give and to recieve. If I had it to do over again, I would'nt change a thing. Two is better than one. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree that a second dog can be beneficial. I've considered it as an option for helping Jersey's separation anxiety. However, you need to be just as ready for a second dog as Rio is. Like Judy has already pointed out, a second dog is going to mean twice as much everything, including your time. Both dogs will still want to be with their daddy when he gets home. Beagles are pack dogs and they want to be with their pack, not left alone. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a second dog, just make sure to take everything that goes with that option into consideration.

·
Registered
667 Posts
We are so wanting to get another beagle or mixed for Snoopy. He has such anxiety like Jen's does, but we want it to be the right time.

We are struggling b/c we would really like a puppy so there are not all the 'issues' that we have to deal with, like in Snoopy, seperation anxiety mostly, other than that he is perfect.

but to have a puppy means so much time and training that we do not have the time to train a puppy.

so then there is my heart that tells me to adopt a rescue..and that is probably what will happen b/c my heart just goes out to the rescues so much, but again...baggage to deal with.

We looked at a puppy about a month ago, I cried that night b/c he was so precious, but cost $1000, I mean REALLY????? all those poor beagles in the pound, I just couldnt get him b/c I knew he would be ok...but so many more to Save!!

We know we want another beagle...we are just struggling with the decision....but I definatley think 2 is better than 1...IF you can afford the time, energy, and money...then do it!'

Amanda and Snoops

1 - 11 of 11 Posts