Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we need more income, so i'm job hunting, looking for a full time job. My wife works full-time too, so Luigi will be put in the bathroom for 8 or so long hours during the day. My concern is though, that Luigi, who still isn't fully housetrained (we're crate training, with pretty good results, but still got a ways to go) will poop in the bathroom, and start preferring to poop there, since he'll be used to doing it...we live in a 3rd floor apartment, so i can't put him outside...any suggestions ideas?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've no suggestions really other than having someone pop round lunchtime to let him out. 8 hours is a long time and if he needs to go he will.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would keep him in a crate during the day. We do that with Miley.

Can you find a job close to home? My husband works alot closer to home than I do so he runs over at lunch time and plays with her outside for about 40 minutes. It makes life alot easier.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He currently sleeps in his crate...so that would make 16 hours of crate time per day, which seems a bit much...but this is my first beagle, so maybe he could handle it, i don't know...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We were fortunate to have my dad who came by and let Maggie out every day. Sometimes he came twice a day. Maybe you will be lucky enough to find a job where your work hours don't exactly match your wife's and then it wouldn't be quite so many hours in the crate.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think that it time he will be able to hold it for 8 hours (age in months + 1 is the hours they should be able to hold it), if you can't find someone to walk him around lunchtime, just ignore any mess he is making during the day and praise like a crazy man when he goes outside. Beagles are smart, and he will soon associate outside potty with good rather than getting no reward and being ignored when going inside.

Besides, if the bathroom is small enough he will prefer to hold it as much as he can... they tend not to mess their "living area".

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I would also put him in the crate. We tried putting Daisy in the bathroom at first and it was horrible. The crate has been so much better.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think going by past posts Luigi is nearly 4 months old in which case he won't be able to last 8 hours. You might find that if he poops in his crate he will get it all over himself and you will come home to a mess.

The idea of crate training is that you are supposed to be THERE to let him out when he starts to make a fuss meaning he needs to go potty. If you aren't there and he uses the crate as a toilet then he will learn that it's ok to mess in his bed.

Chloe's mom is right when she says that they tend not to mess their "living area" but if they have no choice of course they will.

If I was in this situation I would leave the crate door open but shut the bathroom dooor. Move everything out of his reach apart from his toys and water and put newspaper on the floor as far away from his crate as possible. At least then he has the opportunity to relieve himself but keep his bed and himself clean. When he gets older it will get easier but for now don't make the poor dog live in his own mess.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke stays in the bathroom during the day, but we're lucky enough that my son comes home to let him out for an hour to go potty and play. He has never once had an accident in the bathroom, but he is only being kept in there for 4 hours at a time. We also secure the entire room so there is nothing he can get into!

I agree with others that trying to find somebody to come over and let him out or finding a job close enough that you can come home and let him out is the ideal solution. 8 hours is a really long time for him to be alone, not just because of the potty issue, but also because he needs to get some energy out.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Gosh thats going to be hard on the dog. Is there no way you can get someone to pop in? We dont leave our two for more than a couple of hours without getting a dog-sitter in!!! What does the rest of his routine look like? Walks etc?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had the same issue for a while with Toby, but he was a little older. He didn't mind being in his crate for the day and still sleeping in it at night. We were lucky, though. We had a dog park area at our apartment complex, so Toby got a really good play first thing in the morning and again as soon as I got home. He really got to run out all the pent up energy!!! If you have any friends at your complex that could let him out at least once, that would be really helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Our first Beagle stayed in a bathroom when he was young. But one of us were lucky enough to be able to come home at lunchtime and let him out to run around and go pee. We had hubbie's Mom come over sometimes to let him out.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
My dogs were both in the bathroom when we were gone and we used puppy pads. When we came home, the pads were picked up and we never left them down when we were home. They never went into the bathroom to pee (I wish they would have). If they had an accident, it was always on the carpet. LOL

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
4 months old is going to be rough, I don't the he can hold it for 8 hours yet so there will be some setbacks in his training. Bagel was an adult rescue and I'm a bachelor (single father to Bagel) so I needed to solve his separation problems. The solution that worked for me was to give Bagel a job. Every day I leave for work, Bagel also goes to work. His job is to patrol our backyard keeping it free of pigeons, and the lizards and other critters on their toes. I’m hoping others who don’t have the option of a backyard can suggest some activities for Luigi to occupy his time. House training will happen, it may take a while longer with the left inside at home scenario but it will happen. I think your bigger problem may well be a lonely Luigi.

·
Registered
865 Posts
One other idea...You might check to see if you have a pet sitting service close by. Some of them offer the service of stopping by and walking the dog. I may be nuts, but I think mine charged $10 for a 15-20 walk/play. I know you probably don't want the added expense, but it would just be temporary until Luigi could hold it all day.

OR, maybe there is a stay at home mom or senior citizen in your complex that might only charge $5 to do the same thing. Maybe post a flier or talk to the office.

Also, you will definitely have to make up for being gone all day! Lots of playing/exercise and love!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts