Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Does anybody here have a german shepherd/lab dog?
My room-mate is looking for a dog and he asked me to do some research for him into this mixed breed. Any info regarding temperment, sizes, etc would really be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am fostering one. His Mom passed away a couple of weeks ago. I have pictures of him if you would like me to e-mail them to you let me know.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: IvyHoustonHello,
Does anybody here have a german shepherd/lab dog?
My room-mate is looking for a dog and he asked me to do some research for him into this mixed breed. Any info regarding temperment, sizes, etc would really be appreciated.

Thank you
A shepherd cross lab is a mixed breed and therefore you could not possibly get any idea about possible temperament, size, coat type etc as its not possibly to predict which traits each dog will take on.

Why is he looking for a crossbreed? What is it about shepherd/lab mixes that appeals to him? German Shepherds and Labs are two very different breeds. The best thing to do would be to visit the local animal shelter and pick an adult dog that has finished growing so you at least know what size/look the dog will be - or pick a purebred to get from a reputable breeder (as its only purebreds that have predictable traits like size, temperament, type, coat, exercise needs etc).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason why he is looking at this breed is because there is a litter of pups that are 3 weeks old that have been abandoned by a farm. They are in desperate need of homes, so he figured he wants a dog, and these pups are in great need. He wants me to help do the research before he decides on helping out these poor little puppies.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i had a lab/shepard many years ago. she was a friendly, loyal dog. she lived to be 14 but her hips gave out, and it was pretty sad to see.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had this mix growing up. Prince grew to be the size of a lab but was smart. I would definately adopt one of the pups. I guess you can say they would make a good family pet. Sort of a watch dog, but still goofy...
Actually Prince was 18 when he passed. The last few years he became Senile(spelling?)Also his gas was something to be reconded with. You actually had to sit there with matches in your hand just in case.

Since I've had 2 German Shephard and a lab. Both are great breeds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The story with these pups is sad. On a farm, the female dog had an unwanted litter, so they were going to dispose of them. A local lady took them in, and is now trying to find them homes. She got them dewormed, and got them to start eating food and water on their own.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: IvyHoustonThe reason why he is looking at this breed is because there is a litter of pups that are 3 weeks old that have been abandoned by a farm. They are in desperate need of homes, so he figured he wants a dog, and these pups are in great need. He wants me to help do the research before he decides on helping out these poor little puppies.
Its not a 'breed', which is my point - there is no way to tell how the pups will develop or what they will look like. They could be more like a lab, or more like a GSD, some could be bigger, some could be smaller, some could be more guardians or some could be more retrievers. Crossbreeds are unpredictable in trait, you have no idea which traits from the parents pups will inherent and there could be a big variety between each pup.

Asking for people's experience with the cross is not going to be particularly helpful as each dog is probably going to be quite different. The best thing for your friend to do is read up on both labs and GSDs, so he is prepared to handle both breeds. I would only encourage your friend to adopt the puppies if he is prepared to handle either of those breeds.

Good luck with the puppies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts