Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so she has now been with us for 1 month.
we thought everything was going great.
once in a while she would pee in the house on a rug that I could wash in the machiene no big deal I would tell her she is a bad dog not hit her or anything just bring her over to where she went pee & said bad dog

well last night hubbie brought her out to go pee before bed she went & than came back into the house & got up on the bed with us
starting doing her digging thing & peeded a bunch on the bed
what the heck?!?!?! just what I wanted to do at 10 30 at night a load of laundery
so last night she slepted in her crate & will do so from now on
we have a very $$$ mattress & do not want it runited by dog pee I take her out every 2 to 3 hours for potty breaks so what am I doing wrong????
how do you go about re training a dog not to pee in the house??? & better yet how can I train her to let me know that she needs to go potty?

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's awful! I'm not a fan of doing laundry, but to have to do it at 1030 at night can't be fun.

What really worked for us (we had to retrain JoJo to get her back to being fully trained when we adopted her) was to praise her LOTS when she'd go potty outside. We had so many accidents in the house. She'd pee by the back door, but would go into the kids' rooms to poop. On their toys. It was horrible.
So we got her on a good schedule, and used lots of praise. When we go outside, we say, GO POTTY. If she goes, we say, GOOD POTTY! And before bed, we ensure she goes when we're outside. If she doesn't, we stay out longer until she does.

She slept in bed with us for about a week. She'd get up and sneak into the bathroom to pee on the rug. That's when she started sleeping in her crate at night. (she has two - one for downstairs when we go out, and one for nighttime) We've all slept better, including her. She got a nice cushy bed for the crate, and her blanket that she loves. It's become her happy bedtime place. And we don't have to worry about her peeing while we sleep - or not getting any sleep b/c we're so worried about what she's going to do.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bodie did the same thing when he was maybe 5 months old. The lesson we learned, and hopefully others will learn too: just because your puppy appears house broken doesn't mean he won't pee on your comforter/bed. Don't get lulled into thinking otherwise, or you'll find yourself up at 10:30 doing laundry.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Our Sadie did that one time when she was young. I don't know why she did it, but she never did it again. We didn't scold her or anything. I think she was just very tired.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We went through exactly that with Buzz for the first few months we had him (I am using the past tense there with my fingers crossed...). I just don't know the answer for why he would do it, or why Georgia did it to you last night - and I definitely feel your pain. We had Buzz checked out for a UTI but he was fine so it wasn't that. We always take him out right before bed and he doesn't come back inside until he pees, but he would still unleash on the bed from time to time. How old is Georgia.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I can totally relate! We had Daisy about a year (she's 3 1/2) and one night she jumped on the bed where she usually slept and peed. I think she had been trying to let me know she needed to go and I just wasn't paying attention. I am now keenly aware of her mommy I need to pee activities. Fortunately we had a water proof mattress pad on the bed so there was no harm to the mattress. And that was the one and only time she ever did that. Weird...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't worry, believe it or not, marking the bed is a normal Beagle behavior. One of my two beagles, Jack, did this more than once! He also would drip when deep asleep until he was about a year old.. I'm devoted to my beagles so I just got a good quality waterproof mattress pad and on the occassional bed wetting I just got up & changed the sheets.. He appears to have grown out of it now.. Beagles can take awhile to fully potty train and their are times they may not ever be 100% reliable. When I leave the house my boys are in their kennel, they have a doggy door and once they learned to use that they have been accident free... just be patient..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts