Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a beagle-mix (or any other mixed breed) used genetic testing to learn a little more about their dogs?

I adopted a beagle-mix a few months ago. We think Hunter is vast majority beagle (I posted a few picture links under the new members section "Hunter's Unveiling") -- but he came from an animal rescue agency, so we're not sure if there's another breed floating around in him somewhere. Not that it would matter, we'd love him if he was the result of 50 different breeds. We would just like to know in the same way researching your family tree is interesting.

I researched this company, and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts? It only identifies 38 breeds, but my guess is if Hunter isn't all beagle, he's probably basset, but that's just a guess.

http://www.mmigenomics.com/CHBTKits/order.php

Thanks...

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jassy, you're exactly right, and that's why we're wondering if we should pay the $70-something to roll the dice. It wouldn't really be worth it if the results came back 80% beagle, 20% unknown. And when it comes right down it, it wouldn't change how much we love him.

But we're just curious in the sense that we don't know much about his past (due to his being picked up as a "stray" from a shelter), and think it might be nice to know a little more about him.

But based on some of his behavior quirks that match hilariously to some of the threads on this site, we are 100% sure there is a LOT of beagle in him.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. And Hunter sure acts beagle-y, trust me on that one. He can sniff out (or hear) a peanut butter jar being opened two rooms over every morning

We think (untrained eyes) that his ears may be a bit long for a beagle, and his height (just over 12") is a little short for his body length, which makes us think maybe there's some basset in him. But he's mostly beagle for sure.

As for the graying aroud his eyes and nose, we were very surprised our vet told us he's around 5 or 6 years old. From what I understand, educated animal people (meaning: not me) can give a rough estimate of a dog's age by looking at the clouding of their eyes and the condition of their teeth (?). I had 3 different vets at our clinic look at him, and all of them told us around 5 or 6 years old, even with the graying in his face.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.