Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a beagle-mix (or any other mixed breed) used genetic testing to learn a little more about their dogs?

I adopted a beagle-mix a few months ago. We think Hunter is vast majority beagle (I posted a few picture links under the new members section "Hunter's Unveiling") -- but he came from an animal rescue agency, so we're not sure if there's another breed floating around in him somewhere. Not that it would matter, we'd love him if he was the result of 50 different breeds. We would just like to know in the same way researching your family tree is interesting.

I researched this company, and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts? It only identifies 38 breeds, but my guess is if Hunter isn't all beagle, he's probably basset, but that's just a guess.

http://www.mmigenomics.com/CHBTKits/order.php

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I was not aware that breed identification was possible with DNA samples, but I see on their website it is indeed their claim.

I have AKC Beagles and one of them is used for stud services. Due to the requirements of the AKC, DNA profiling is necessary for my stud dog. However, they were very insistent that a dog's breed could not be identified by DNA (or at least not how they are doing it).

Sorry I can't really answer this for you. I would be very curious if it is possible though because we have a wonderful mix breed, shelter dog that we believe to be a lab/beagle mix. It would be fun to find out, but I don't know that I would want to pay the price to do so. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Good luck in your efforts.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have friends that did this. They did it just for fun. They have 5 rescue dogs, none are beagles. One of the dogs had always intrigued them because they just couldn't guess what mix she might be. I believe they were satisfied with the results they got. I think they strongly identified 2 breeds and found traces of a third. I can't remember all the details now but it seems like once they knew the breeds they were saying that they could see the characteristics. It didn't really matter to them what breeds she was. We all had fun at school guessing what she might be and several people were close. Not every breed can be identified but I think they have most of the major ones on file and say they are continuing to add more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jassy, you're exactly right, and that's why we're wondering if we should pay the $70-something to roll the dice. It wouldn't really be worth it if the results came back 80% beagle, 20% unknown. And when it comes right down it, it wouldn't change how much we love him.

But we're just curious in the sense that we don't know much about his past (due to his being picked up as a "stray" from a shelter), and think it might be nice to know a little more about him.

But based on some of his behavior quirks that match hilariously to some of the threads on this site, we are 100% sure there is a LOT of beagle in him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've looked into this too. Like you, I've been hesitant to spend the money without knowing what kind of results I'm going to get. Jersey is a rescue...sorta. More like the offspring of a rescue. Her momma' was a Beagle a good samaritan found as a very pregnant stray on the side of the road. So obviously, we don't know what daddy was. I've always wanted to know what else was in there. It won't matter. She's still my baby, but I'd still love to know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
H-D,I checked out Hunter's photos and though his facial coloring is a bit different(but for a beagle most are). If he is not all beagle,he is about 95% ! Never tried the genetic testing so don't know anything about it;sorry.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by littledude:
H-D,I checked out Hunter's photos and though his facial coloring is a bit different(but for a beagle most are). If he is not all beagle,he is about 95% ! Never tried the genetic testing so don't know anything about it;sorry.
I agree with littledude - and even would go further to say that his facial coloration to me looks a lot like a beagle who is going grey... the pattern of the lighter colour on his face is almost exactly like our 7 year old beagle Moose - who started first to go grey around his nose and eyes and is now filling in the space between the two. Before Moose started to go grey about a year ago, his face was almost entirely brown - and I think all-brown faced beagles tend to show grey sooner than beagles with a white snout since the place where the grey starts is already white for the latter!

In any event, Hunter looks pretty beagle-y to me!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. And Hunter sure acts beagle-y, trust me on that one. He can sniff out (or hear) a peanut butter jar being opened two rooms over every morning

We think (untrained eyes) that his ears may be a bit long for a beagle, and his height (just over 12") is a little short for his body length, which makes us think maybe there's some basset in him. But he's mostly beagle for sure.

As for the graying aroud his eyes and nose, we were very surprised our vet told us he's around 5 or 6 years old. From what I understand, educated animal people (meaning: not me) can give a rough estimate of a dog's age by looking at the clouding of their eyes and the condition of their teeth (?). I had 3 different vets at our clinic look at him, and all of them told us around 5 or 6 years old, even with the graying in his face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts