Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our rescue beagle Maybelle for almost a year and I am frustrated because we are still having problems. She was a rescue and she is very shy/scared. She was found lost in the woods (or dropped off in the woods). First, she has regular accidents inside. I take her out and she will hold in her pee. I'm thinking she is hesitant to go in front of me because she was punished previously. She is also moody in the evening with my kids (she has never bitten but she warns). She growls and snaps when she has a toy/food/or stuffed animal that I try to take away. She is scared of so many things. For instance the oven timer sends her into nervous shakes for hours. I try to walk her often and sometimes she acts scared and refuses to walk. I'm confused by her behavior and I feel like I'm not doing a good job of training her. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
How old are your kids? What do they do to interact with her?

With housebreaking, you may have to start from scratch as if she was a little puppy. Another thing - get a good enzyme cleaner for when she has accidents, so that she's not smelling it and thinking it's a place to pee.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
And have you taken her for professional training? She sounds like she's resource guarding, it'd be a good thing to have someone who can come into the home.

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
Sounds just like my Molly. She was found running in the streets when she was about 2 and was terrified of everything except for me. Potty training took about 6 months. One thing with potty training, it really needs to start over from day one, like they are a puppy. When they get it, they just finally get it. She never has accidents now (she's 14 now). As for being afraid, she will come around, just be gentle and let her feel safe. If you drop something on the floor or make a loud sound, just say "uh-oh it's okay" in a happy voice. You can bring treats along on your walks and egg her along with them. Training does help too, helps with socializing which she probably never had. Molly went to "basic manners" training at the shelter we got her from. Thank you for rescuing!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
You take her out on a leash to pee/poop? Ive made this recommendation many times...purchase a "clicker" in the pet store. A great cheap training tool. When the dog pees/poops outside click the clicker.. its also great for other training...also praise big time. You can watch YouTube videos on how to use one. My dog was a minimum of 10months before getting potty reliable. Molly is right about socialization..you cant protect them from every noise or situation. I too recommend a good obedience class.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old are your kids? What do they do to interact with her?

With housebreaking, you may have to start from scratch as if she was a little puppy. Another thing - get a good enzyme cleaner for when she has accidents, so that she's not smelling it and thinking it's a place to pee.
She doesn't always like my middle son age 6, he is rough and runs around and very loud. She can't tolerate him in the evenings. I don't really trust her around my 3 year old when she is grumpy like that.

We have had her a year and I have worked so hard with potty training. It's frustrating because I take her out and she won't go. She will get scared or distracted and just lock up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And have you taken her for professional training? She sounds like she's resource guarding, it'd be a good thing to have someone who can come into the home.
She is resource guarding and this has gotten worse, she will take the kid's stuffed animals and growl at me when I try to get them back. Also, any food she grabs she will act this way too .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You take her out on a leash to pee/poop? Ive made this recommendation many times...purchase a "clicker" in the pet store. A great cheap training tool. When the dog pees/poops outside click the clicker.. its also great for other training...also praise big time. You can watch YouTube videos on how to use one. My dog was a minimum of 10months before getting potty reliable. Molly is right about socialization..you cant protect them from every noise or situation. I too recommend a good obedience class.
I will try that! My concern will be that she is scared of click because she is terrified of dings and beeps. The text message beep will usually send her to her crate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds just like my Molly. She was found running in the streets when she was about 2 and was terrified of everything except for me. Potty training took about 6 months. One thing with potty training, it really needs to start over from day one, like they are a puppy. When they get it, they just finally get it. She never has accidents now (she's 14 now). As for being afraid, she will come around, just be gentle and let her feel safe. If you drop something on the floor or make a loud sound, just say "uh-oh it's okay" in a happy voice. You can bring treats along on your walks and egg her along with them. Training does help too, helps with socializing which she probably never had. Molly went to "basic manners" training at the shelter we got her from. Thank you for rescuing!
Thank you I will look for some obedience classes for us!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Try clicking the clicker and giving the dog a treat at the same time for awhile so he associates the sound with something good then eliminate the treat once he's calm. You cant protect from every sound but be nonchalant when there is some noise. Consider letting the 6yr old putting the dog food down so there is some bonding..that would be a nice task for your son and an easy contact. .. tell the dog "Leave it" if it gets to stealing the children's toys.. make sure your dog has enough toys and chews to help with his anxiety. Here's a picture of my clicker..dont show it to the dog let it come from a pocket. I have on a neck chain but havent needed it in a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts