Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but here it goes again...

I've been feeding the girls Innova adult food. They seemed to have loved it, but I'm noticing they are very gassy. I originally had them on Chicken Soup for the Puppy lovers Soul and had to change because of this same problem.

Has anyone else run into this same problem with Innova and what have you done? Or are Beagles just gassy normally?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
First question: How long have they been on that food? If not long, perhaps the gas will discontinue.

If they've been on it for awhile, then I suggest you ask your vet for a recommendation, because your dogs shouldn't be that gassy. Calvin and Maggie have done the same thing on certain foods, but I finally found one that works just fine (and their breath isn't as smelly either; apparently their tummy-gas went BOTH directions) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Good Luck

·
Registered
794 Posts
and what food is that?
Georgia can clear the neighborhood block and that's just not ladylike! :toofunny:

she is on Iams ( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I know, I know...) and Polly is on Purina pro plan or something like that...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is on Innova and she's just fine, no gas problems. She's been on it almost her entire life and I don't ever remember a problem. My last dog was on Innova too and she was always very gassy. But that was a problem we always had with her regardless of the food she was on.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Is Innova canned or dry? When we got our stanrd poodle Coco he was a year and a half and the lady we got him from said he was fed canned foood. When we got him in the car to come home he started passing gas so bad that by the time we got home (about 45 minutes) we almost couldn't breathe--and that was with the windows rolled down!! I promptly took him off the canned food and put him on the dry, and the gas problems stopped!
Miss Shiloh gets "the vapors" fairly often, but I can never pin down exactly what is causing it. I just keep the Oust nearby!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
All of our hounds can get quite gassy from time to time, but I can never really put it together with any specific food. Except for the one year when Booker got into the pupperoni at Christmas (I understand from reading the posts over Christmas she has company in that...) - then we definitely knew what the cause was.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When we first got them I had them on the Chicken Soup Puppy and the gas they had was awful. So I switched them to the Innova puppy(all has been dry). They were on that until about Nov, thats when they went on the Adult Innova. The food has kept there coats soft and shiny, but they can clear a room with the gas or as Taurus Mom says "a neighborhood block" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif .

I guess we'll try to stink it out a while longer and see if the gas subsides.... :rotatesmiley2:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Boeing hasn't been dropping 'stink bombs' lately and his coat is softer and shinier since we switched from Purina's Alpo to Nutro. We don't get Innova around here, at least not where I usually go buy his stuff. So, I guess there's some connection between the food and the gassing bouts in Boeing's case. He still gets the same treats e.g. carrot sticks, green beans, steamed pumpkin, dog biscuits, apples, bananas, Greenies, etc., alternately of course!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hunter is usually not bad, but Casey could clear a room in no time. What I do now, because she would wolf down her food in no time, is use mealtime as training time. I make her sit or down or whatever, and since she eats slower, less stink bombs. I don't have time to do it always, but I find when I do It works. Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Elizabeth has been with us for four days now, and she's the gassiest little gal I've ever seen (or smelled). :freak: We've been feeding her Beneful. I wondered if her tummy was upset because her diet is not the same as it was at the shelter. She's going to have a checkup next week, so I'll have to remember to ask the vet about it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Daisy has gas at least once a day. I usually send her outside to see if she needs to empty out. She eats her food, Canadae, so fast that I think she swallows a lot of air while eating.

I think it's just a matter of each dog's makeup, although I'm sure there are some foods that react on them in this way.

My hubby swears that Daisy comes over by him every time she has a "silent stinker". :evilgrin:

I'd probably check with the vet if it got to be excessive.

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
All our beagles have had this problem from time to time. Certain canned foods, Chappi for instance, was certain to set them off. We give ours a mixture of canned meat and dry, the canned is pure meat not 70% water like a lot of them. Here it is called Bella and Bello, made by Alco.

One thing I notice is, that whenever we get visitors who dont like dogs, ours will smell the place out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts