Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My suspicions are true; Gabby has not been spayed and she is in heat. Is there anything special that I should do for her (besides keep her inside)? She is having a dark brown discharge, but otherwise seems to be fine. Do I have to wait a certain time after her heat cycle before I have her spayed? Thankfully Bailey is fixed, and the shelter has given me a voucher to have her spayed for free. Sorry for the questions, but I've never been through this before!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Okay, Gabby will be in heat for roughly 3 weeks - so you will need to keep her inside and away from temptation during that time. You might find that she's a little fussier than usual - not her usual self, but there's really nothing special you need to do for her. You can get special panties for her - with pads to keep things a little neater. Good luck keeping them on her
. The ones that tie on the sides seem to be a little better. Most of the time the girls will keep themselves pretty clean - but you might want to keep her off your bed for a while. Most vets will not spay them when they're in heat, but you might want to call your vet and see what his policy is. Just be grateful you don't have THREE in heat at the same time - and your intact male is the father of two of them. I play Musical Dogs twice a year. Hope I haven't been too graphic. If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions - I think you'll find that there's little you can go through with your beagles, that some of us haven't experienced. I'm one of the few members here with some of my dogs intact - tho most are spayed or neutered. Until a few years ago ALL my dogs had been spayed or neutered, but since I have some dogs with awesome pedigrees, I do have occasional litters.

Here's some info about the estrus cycle and what to expect.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/deestrus.html

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
A dog can be spayed when she is in heat but there can be more complications than when it is done normally so I think that it isn't recommended unless absolutely necessary... Popcorn did have to get spayed while she was in heat (long story) before we got her but it went fine and so I know it can be done!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts